Accoya vs Sapele wood for front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm looking to have a timber entrance door made. A lot of the high end companies are pushing Accoya due to its dimensional stability, durability against rot and ease of painting.

I'm using a local joiner for the job rather than one of the high end (re over priced) companies.

He is happy to make it out of Accoya but has suggested Sapele. He says though Accoya does have all the attributes mentioned its a treated soft wood and so is far more likely to pick up dings and dents in a high traffic area.

My entrance door is shielded from the worst of the weather by a porch and the original 100 year old door hasn't rotted.

So should I go for Accoya or Sapele?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
The choice is yours but Accoya is very stable whereas sapele will be susceptible to some environmental effect

The choice is yours but Accoya is very stable whereas sapele will be susceptible to some environmental effect

Thanks.

Is Accoya 'softer' than Sapele? As a result will an Accoya pick up dents easier than Sapele?

Cheers

probably yes, accoya is made from radiate pine which has a janka hardness of 3150 N whereas sapele is 6280N so even allowing for the 50% increase due to the process, the sapele will be much harder

Sponsored Links
probably yes, accoya is made from radiate pine which has a janka hardness of 3150 N whereas sapele is 6280N so even allowing for the 50% increase due to the process, the sapele will be much harder

Thanks, very helpful.

Out of curiosity, if you were having a timber entrance door made would you go for the dimensional stability of accoya or the 'hardness' of sapele?

Cheers

interesting question, hadn't given it much thought, but coincidently have just had a patio set made from Accoya, not for any particular reason other than my mates joinery shop are using a lot of Accoya at the moment and he did them for me at a super price. Haven't fitted them yet so can't comment on their durability. If it's going to be painted I wouldn't worry too much a) the paint will take the brunt of the bashes and b) you can always fill any dints when you redecorate

interesting question, hadn't given it much thought, but coincidently have just had a patio set made from Accoya, not for any particular reason other than my mates joinery shop are using a lot of Accoya at the moment and he did them for me at a super price. Haven't fitted them yet so can't comment on their durability. If it's going to be painted I wouldn't worry too much a) the paint will take the brunt of the bashes and b) you can always fill any dints when you redecorate

Thanks. I'll go with the Accoya then.

In theory should give you a more stable door, and I don't mean cut in half ;)

meranti would be similar to sapele whereas engineered redwood is just bits of softwood finger jointed together to make larger pieces, it does by and large exclude nots and imperfections though so can be more stable than a raw softwood product

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back