Accumulator problem

It really does have two connections as descibed - it is lying horizontally with a pipe coming out of both ends. Water mains in one end and feed to the boiler and taps at the other. I promise!

Looking at the datasheet (and possibly confirmed by kevplumb above) I linked to earlier I would say that one of the connections should go to a gauge/safety valve rather than to the taps...

Sponsored Links
theres your problem , if its got 2 connections I dont see how it can work , there should be no connection from the accumulater to the boiler ?? are you sure it is an accumulater ???

Where is the air filling valve?

Can you measure the air fill pressure with the mains off and tap on?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like an unvented cylinder or store to me.

A pic is needed.

It'll be quite tricky to take pictures because it's located horizontally down the eaves of the house, but I'll try later on. As I say it's a Zilmet Ultra Pro 300 Litre tank - the literature says it's a butyl membrane pressure tank which does sound like the right thing eh?

It'll be quite tricky to take pictures because it's located horizontally down the eaves of the house, but I'll try later on. As I say it's a Zilmet Ultra Pro 300 Litre tank - the literature says it's a butyl membrane pressure tank which does sound like the right thing eh?

No, it doesn't, it sounds more like a giant expansion vessel.

I could say that the two are made the same way!

Zilmet are best know for exansion vessels.

Even if it was sold as an expansion vessel then it can still be used as an accumulator.

The air pressure is the key feature in knowing whats wrong but the OP has not given me that information.

Quite possibly the diaphragm has failed or the air charge is depleted.

Tony

Even if it was sold as an expansion vessel then it can still be used as an accumulator.

Don't think so Tony :eek:

Or it won't work very well if you did.

I'm with doitall on this , I dont think he's , got an accumulater , why is it connected to the boiler ? why has it got 2 connections ? an accumulater can also take the place of an exp' vessel when used with an unvented cylinder . But equipment must be used for its intended purpose an expansion vessel is intended to be used for that purpose , an accumulater is intended to be used primarily as an accumulater !

They are both made the same way!

Like those full bore valves with red or yellow handles! Same body but different colour handle! But we should only use the yellow one for gas!

I am still waiting for the OP to tell me the air pressure.

Tony

Like those full bore valves with red or yellow handles! Same body but different colour handle! But we should only use the yellow one for gas!

I am still waiting for the OP to tell me the air pressure.

Tony

They are both tanks that hold water, but that's where the similarity ends.

An expansion vessel can be used as a top up vessel, but it cannot assist the mains flow.

They may be both made in a 'similar' way , but they are designed for different purposes , an accumulater is designed so that the internal membrane holds or contains or stores water.

Merry xmas all
It really does have two connections as descibed - it is lying horizontally with a pipe coming out of both ends. Water mains in one end and feed to the boiler and taps at the other. I promise!

Then
a) its piped up wrong

or

b)its not an accumulator/exp vess

Sounds more like an unvented cylinder or store to me.

A pic is needed.

I agree it does to me too on description of the plumbing but
it's a Zilmet Ultra Pro 300 Litre tank -
That is definately an expansion vessel
gotta agree with tony here they are the same things apart from the "accumulator" will be a potable one

how bad is the incoming mains pressure/flowrate op?
ps a few photos will speak volumes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back