Accumulator problem

You got a semi-blocked mains water supply mate. The pressure can still build up, but the flow is limited. Make sure all valves/stopcocks are turned on & check the dynamic pressure at a tap on an ajoining property.

Sponsored Links
Think about it matt1e.

You have the mains one side of the check valve at 1.5bar and the expansion vessel at 2bar the system side.

Answer, No mains water until the vessel is depleted, or below 1.5bar.

An accumulator is much more complicated than a simple tank with a diaphragm.

Sponsored Links
Happy New Year to you also eh, Happy??!!
I hope you & your family had a great Christmas?

Think about it chaps, he's running out of water!!! Something is blocked.

The end that you say go's to the cold taps & 'Boiler', I assume you mean
Hot Water cylinder when you say Boiler ,
what ever you got Accumulater or expansion vessel ? there should only be one connection , mains in as I see it you have got water both sides of the diaphram , & it isnt going to work !!

I'm not sure the documentation you linked to earlier was correct, OP. I think this may be what you have, or at least it certainly looks more like it.

In any case, as you can see from the cutaway drawing, having water running through end to end is NOT what you want. If anything it may well have damaged the diaphragm.

I wouldn't suggest bringing the original plumbers back to fix the problem if they made such a basic mistake in the first place. I'd also question whether or not the beams in the loft are capable of supporting such a large weight. That is, unless this is a converted loft with added support for use as a habitable space?

EDIT: Must make it my new years resolution to read the original post better. It is indeed a loft conversion.

Sorry, but this is probably the one thing I am clear about. The plate on the top of the tank says zilmet ultra pro not hydro pro...

The documentation I linked to is correct too, I can verify it looks exactly like my tank in the loft.

Also, the tank is directly on top of a steel beam so is supported ok.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Also, you can see in the diagram that the membrane is accessible from both the top and bottom valves.

My theory is that once the membrane is empty, the air pressure prevents the water from travelling from bottom to top unless the water pressure is greater than the air pressure. Which it probably is in the afternoon when the man comes, but isn't first thing in the morning when everyone else showers. (Before we had the tank the pressure was noticeably less between 7am and 8.30.

Also, just in case I forgot to mention it, we have a combi boiler.

Cheers,

The end with the bolts is the water end.

The other end would be air!

Where is your air valve?

Tony

The air valve will be on the first image and is probably just out of sight.

Their design specification states.........
Maximum duration of the membrane is assured as
the membrane itself cannot bend or rub against the
plate, as fixed above to the connection and below to
the flange.

So its fixed at two points. Seems quite a good design.
This would suggest to me that water can pass through from one end to the other and out if one pipes it as such and indeed seems to be doing so in the Op's case.

A temporary by-pass could be fitted to see if the problem persists without the accumulator.

My theory is that once the membrane is empty, the air pressure prevents the water from travelling from bottom to top unless the water pressure is greater than the air pressure.

You may well be right. I think having it connected properly would be a good start.

Blue is an industry standard pumped/boosted pressure vessel, for potable cold water. exactly the same as white is hot water and red is heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back