Acheiving 75 - 55 Flow and Return temps?

Yeah - well...
For a start, if you don't set up a system properly you might as well not bother installing a condensing boiler - because it'll hardly ever condense!
Bye, bye 6 - 10% of efficiency.
At today's gas prices, if you can't be arsed with efficiency, you don't deserve to win the business.

Sponsored Links
Got to disagree with Croydoncorgi on the point of throttling DHW cylinder return flow, the coil is just another heat emitter, and customers, whilst they do want "hot water now" probably don't want it at the expense of heating. Remember the DHW coil is just a coil of 28mm pipe inside a tank, as the DHW heats up so the heat transferred to it reduces. This means the return water temperature rises which reduces boiler output, either by modulating it's burner pressure or by turning off.

All rads and cylinders are loads in parallel, the idea with balancing it to give each load a flow proportional to its size. In doing so three things will benefit.
1. All rads will heat evenly, giving quick warm-up and user comfort, therefore programmer "switch-on" can be set later and less gas used.
2. Boiler load will be higher, resulting in longer condensing periods and a large reduction in boiler short-cycling.
3. Boiler efficiency and reliability will be increased, as each boiler firing adds to thermal and electronic "stress".

So when a system is adequately balanced system return temperatures from all branches (except DHW) are substantially the same. I have excluded the DHW from this statement because of the dynamic nature of it's load, my opinion is that it should be set to give the required differential temperature with the cylinder under 40C.

TRV heads should be removed when balancing for reasons previously covered (very well) by others.

1. All rads will heat evenly, giving quick warm-up and user comfort, therefore programmer "switch-on" can be set later and less gas used.
Might be the case but in practice it's difficult to reconcile precise balance and acceptable recovery time for the HW cylinder. IMHO, the only reason to throttle the cylinder coil flow would be if the return temperature from it was too high (in other words, not enough heat passing into HW, for whatever reason). Almost exactly the same amount of gas will be used to deliver a given number of kilowatts of heat into a building, for whatever end-use, assuming the boiler has a fully-modulating burner. Most do.

2. Boiler load will be higher, resulting in longer condensing periods and a large reduction in boiler short-cycling.
I sort-of agree with you. But in real systems, the boiler 'load' and time spent in condensing mode are not directly proportional. If Return temperature is too high, for whatever reason (see above), condensing will stop. A properly tuned system should never leave the boiler 'short cycling'! The burner should modulate down until a 'steady state' is reached or the room stat opens.

3. Boiler efficiency and reliability will be increased, as each boiler firing adds to thermal and electronic "stress".

See above. My own (actually undersized) boiler sits for long periods in winter on minimum modulation and minimum pump rate. Minimised stresses = 11 years old and NO major components replaced!

Tthanks for the advice everyone, I'm learning more on this site than i am in college!!!

I'm off on holiday now, so I'll give you all a break.

Sponsored Links
I can explain that too!

You spend more time on this site than you do at your college so you should learn more here!

Enjoy your holiday, where are you going?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back