achieving a uniform white colour…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our bedroom has dark grey walls and white ceilings. We want to paint both a soft white colour and achieve a uniform finish. We already have the paint (valspar v700) but I’m wondering if we should apply directly or apply some sort of undercoat first?

we just want to avoid the walls looking different (darker) when it’s all done.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably best to paint over the dark grey with an obliterating white emulsion first, and when it's completely white and streak free, you can use your chosen colour.

Thanks sparkwright, would you know of any white emulsion paints what work well? Sorry clueless here and last time I painted a room took me 5 coats to paint it white..! :)

Gest some dulux vinyl white emulsion .
One coat of that (will look patchy, but don't worry)
Then 2 coats of your paint.
Or, just do the lot in dulux and be done in 2 coats.

Sponsored Links
I once used Crown Obliterating Brilliant White emulsion, though I suspect Dulux do their own version.

I am not a fan of using the "obliterating" emulsions over existing emulsion. It can cause problems further down the line.

When I first started decorating, I used one to cover a dark red wall. From memory the old paint was silk. I applied two coats of Dulux Trade Supermatt to hide the red and then used Dulux Trade acrylic eggshell over the top. After a few weeks the eggshell started to craze.

Those kind of paints have a very low acrylic content and are designed for painting over plaster that hasn't completely dried.

I have only used Valspar 700 once, I wasn't impressed with it. The walls seemed to have a slightly rough texture when finished even though they were new plaster and I sanded them prior to painting.

I would follow @johnny2007 's advice and use Dulux Trade white matt emulsion first.

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. I'll order some dulux trade vinyl matt - plan to do the work this week, I'll post an update in the 'Your Projects' section for critique.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back