achieving cross ventilation in a flat roof garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched high and low and not been able to find a solution to my problem. I want to convert my garage to a bedroom. It is the link between two bungalows with traditional pitched rooves.

My problem is that the joists run at a right angles to the normal path of cross ventilation, across the width of the garage. This is further complicated by the fact the back of the garage backs onto the utility room which run the width of the garage apart from a door opening to the back garden. Building regs require cross ventilation of the void.

I can't be the first person to face this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes warm roof is easiest if you're reroofing anyway, if not, you'll have to counter batten under the joists front to back and then insulate under that, but you might end up with no head room by the time you've also battened and insulated the floor. That lot will take off 250mm of head room in total.

With a garage conversion, all you need to do is stuff the roof void with insulation, no air gaps, and that's it.

Sponsored Links
There was a similar thread in here a couple of weeks ago. Search for 'hybrid roof' it may be your answer if your BCO is happy with them.

With a garage conversion, all you need to do is stuff the roof void with insulation, no air gaps, and that's it.
As long as ...
1. The flat roof is in good nick and does not need replacing.
2. The roof height is acceptable (often garage roofs are unfeasibly low) and does not need raising.

If any of the above points are relevant go with a warm deck and have a drop down to your neighbours side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back