Acrid smell - failure of anti-surge (too high a voltage?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently getting an acrid smell in two places in our house. In both locations we have anti-surge protected multiple socket extensions. We're not overloading the system, in fact it's being lightly used - nothing demanding much power.

We've experienced exactly the same in two previous properties in totally different towns. Usually, when we replace the anti-surge extension, the problem vanishes ... for a year or so, then starts again.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? Is it an obsolescence issue with the extensions wearing out? What causes it? Is it too high a voltage coming down the power lines? Is replacing the extensions the only way to stop it? Is the smell a gas which is toxic?

Any information and advice appreciated.

Best wishes

Sponsored Links
The common denominator here is the anti surge extension units.

You smelt the problem over different addresses and experienced the same issue with same item used.

What's plugged in to these extensions?

Toxic... possibly!

Too many spikes maybe.
I recall they absorb a certain amount then they work no more.
Not sure about them smelling though.
Some have an indicater that lights when done and dearer ones have a replaceable filter module.

Sponsored Links
I think B&Q are still knocking those MK filtered twin sockets out at a tenner each.

Thanks for your comments.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough :)

1. The problem has recurred with different anti-surge adaptors in different houses with different equipment plugged into them.

2. What's plugged in? I've already said light use - in this case, a digital television, digital box and telephone charger.

I've no question that the common denominator is the anti-surge extensions, but I'm wondering why I get this acrid vapour coming off them when it seems nobody else seems to have had that experience!

Should I report the problem to my electricity provider to get them to monitor the voltage? We buy more expensive anti-surge extensions - around £30 a time. But even if I can get them at £10 a time, I don't see why I should be repeatedly paying to replace my equipment if a bad supply is the problem!

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Should I report the problem to my electricity provider to get them to monitor the voltage?

That would be one solution, as you don't really seem to have any other investigative routes to go down right now without your own test equipment. However, they may well charge you for this service if it turns out there is no problem with the supply.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you 100% sure the smell is being generated by these extension strips? It seems strange that there is no common denominator involved - I wouldn't expect you to have had supply problems of this nature at three different houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back