Add a dishwasher by a washing machine far from sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've searched the forum and people have suggested going to Screwfix to add a connection to a pipe to add it to a washing machine outlet.

However, the washing machine is about 5m from the sink and outlet etc so I was wondering if that made a difference.

The house hasn't had a dishwasher before so there is no existing connection, this is where we would probably add it. Looking at the installation instructions for the dishwasher we are considering it only needs cold water in.

So is this a DIY job do you think or will we need a plumber?

Thanks,

Phoebus
Images of existing washing machine connections (obviously would drill through the wood to get to these):

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can simply tee into that existing copper pipe, and add another tap connection without any trouble at all.....the drain for the new machine is the bit to be sorted out!
John :)

Thanks John, so it sounds like I will need a plumber to make sure we're not flooded with waste then?

You may be able to follow the waste from that existing machine.....if it goes to a stand pipe then you can get both waste hoses in.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Is there space for two appliances? Are there elec outlets for two apps?

Is the washing machine currently discharging/draining 5m into a spigot at the sink waste?
Or, is it, as Burnerman suggested, draining into an upstand?

Where do you propose discharging the new dish washer to?
Perhaps check Mfr's Instructions for discharge length?

AAMOI: you have rising damp, or penetrating damp, in the wall in the pics.
I cant see a solid floor membrane coming up at the skirting area?

Thanks Dann09. That is worrying about the damp, we just bought the place and it didn't show up in the survey. The kitchen was done about a year or two ago so I would have thought they would have done something, that is most annoying.

It's a party wall in a terraced house, not sure if that makes much difference.

Tried having a look where the outlet pipe goes but it goes behind a fitted cabinet then through a wooden pipework enclosure, while under the sink I can't see it coming out.

This is the model dishwasher we are after http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/our-pro...-dishwashers/dishwasher-range/SMS40A08GB.html

Going by the comments here, and the fact that the pipework is all covered up, I think I will have to get a plumber in. Thanks for the advice.

1. Your pics have disappeared.

2. It's necessary to have access to the stand-pipe or drainage connection for your appliances - in case of blockage( D/W) or leakage.

3. Possibly the boxed in pipework contains a drainage connection, but you must have access.
Is your main water shut-off accessible?

4.Nowadays, kit sink trap spigots are typically used to drain apps - some traps have double spigots.

5. If a 40mm upstand is used, then tape the drain hoses to a plastic u-bend ( looks like a horseshoe ) and insert the hose max. 150mm into the stand pipe.

6. Pumping 3M is possible but 5M requires a call to Mfr's tech. dept.

7. It might be worth discussing the damp issue with your neighbour? And researching damp and solid floors on here.
There's a slight chance that it might be excessive condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back