Add a Wall Light

SBH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a wall light in my lounge. I have a 2 way dimmer switch next to where i want to site the switch for the new wall light. Can I run a load from the dimmer switch?
There are three leads entering the backplate already?
If I can, how could I take the load and would it meet regs? :?:

Sponsored Links
Probably not. The three cables at this switch are almost certainly the strappers between this switch and the other one on the two-way circuit. Or did you mean you have a two-gang dimmer (two switches)?

And where would you get your neutral from? More details needed before anybody can really help. Have you tried looking at the 'sticky' post at the top of the Electric UK index entitled 'for reference'?

Thanks. No its not 2 gang. The wall light is in a small extension, so I was looking for an easier place to take the power from.
If I add 5amp fuse, will it be OK to run powe from a spur on the mains ring, as I have a power socket below the place wher i want the wall light.

SBH said:
The wall light is in a small extension, so I was looking for an easier place to take the power from.
Are you saying that your problem is that you don't have access to the ceiling void above where you want your wall light? If you do have such access then this is the way to go, using the existing lighting circuit - check out the 'For reference' post.

SBH said:
If I add 5amp fuse, will it be OK to run power from a spur on the mains ring, as I have a power socket below the place where I want the wall light.
If the socket in question is on a ring circuit you can spur a switched, fused connection unit from it and use this as your light switch. But I'm guessing that where you want your switch is not where you want your light? And have you figured out your cable routes? Maybe this will help:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.4.1.htm

There's a lot more useful information about the regulations there as well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dingbat. Yep, access to the ceiling void is possible, but there are no electrics in there, as it is an small extended part of the house with a flat roof, so I cant get in throgh floorboards, and If I did get in id need to mess up the ceiling!

If I was to run a 5amp switch off the ring, your right, the switch would be in the wrong place and look poor.

My original brainstorm was to take power from the lightswitch nearby, but cant see that working

Any other ideas?

First off, do look up the diagrams in the reference post - a lot of contributors have gone to considerable trouble to produce them.

Then, working from my interpretation of your description, I'd pick up the lighting circuit from your existing ceiling light via the floorboards above and take this into a four terminal junction box, wired up as a ceiling rose. (If this sits beneath a marked, accessible and easily removable floorboard then it should satisfy the need for future accessibility.) This will give you a switch cable and a switched light cable. Run the switch cable to where you want the switch (obviously) which, from what you've said is probably accessible from above, then chase in and sink a box for your new switch. Then run your light cable as far as you can in the ceiling void, pop it through the ceiling and run it horizontally along the top of the wall (within 150mm of the ceiling) then drop it down vertically to where you want your light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back