Add isolator to "live" rising main, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a bungalow and am updating the plumbing amongst other things.

I cannot find any isolator within the property to turn off the mains, so I have 2 ba11c0cks (heating header top up and cold tank) that cannot be turned off :eek:
There is an isolator on a neighbouring property which has a broken handle (I am 99% ceretain this is for my property only). I cannot find any other isolators in/on my property.

What should I do? I want to be able to turn off my mains if needed!

My favoured route is to add an isolator to my rising main as it enters the loft (you can get to it as it exits the floor and goes up, but it is tight access and the pipe is safe from damage). Is it possible to do this "live"? I assume you could freeze the mains as it exits the floor and then cut the pipe in the loft and add an isolator?

Is this a DIY job? (I am a good DIY'er, have sucessfully installed shower pump and concealed valve with dedicated new feeds from hot and cold)

I am aware this is something that could go horribly wrong, how much would a pro plumber charge? Can someone recommend one in the north Surrey area?

Any other options or things I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any advice.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I would call water authority to locate and make safe to allow stop valve to be fitted in the property.

Do they charge for this? We are not "on their radar" at the moment (recently moved in), will calling them cause us to start showing up on their records ;)

Do they charge for this? We are not "on their radar" at the moment (recently moved in), will calling them cause us to start showing up on their records ;)
Why are you worried about this? Are you trying to avoid paying for your water :eek: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
not avoid, just delay, moving is damn expensive! Water board know the previous owner left and WB know we moved in but they have not asked for any money yet and I dont want to prompt them..... I know they will get us in the end and I know they will back charge us which is all fair and fine.

Do WB charge to sort out the stop cock on the neighbouring property or is it my responsibility?

Or will they just come out, turn off in road while I fit stop cock in loft and then turn back on in road? Do they charge for this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back