!!!!HELP HELP!!!! Isolation Valve doesn't work & Mains S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
!!!!HELP HELP!!!! Isolation Valve doesn't work & Mains Stuck :cry:

I'm in the middle of trying to change a bathroom sink. I've tried to turn the water off using the isolation valve on the pipe but it doesn't turn the water off (all the other pipes seem fine).

I've tried to turn the water off at the mains in the kitchen however the stop tap (valve) thing is jammed open. I've oiled it up and try to lossen the nut of the bottom then open but no joy.

I live in a maisonette above someone else and its a fair old property. I haven't got a foggest if there is a stop valve thing outside the property......

Any help & advice would be greatly apperciated...... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I haven't got a foggest if there is a stop valve thing outside the property......
Sounds like you need a foggest.

You could freeze the pipe at the basin, but better to do it properly, and renew the stopcock.

:D I guess I meant Foggiest....

Many thanks for the help but can I ask how would I freeze the pipes at the sink?

Help is greatly appericated...

Cheers ;)

You can buy a freezing kit from b and q. They cost about ten pound and only do 1 pipe. They will keep it frozen for about 10-30 mins. They come with instructions.

Honestly though, you ought to find out where the main stop cock is (outside one). You should have your own which only isolates your supply. Have a chat with your water company because I believe they are mandatory for every property so you should have one.

you also should get your stop cock inside repaired. you ought to get a plumber in to do that.

Freezing would work but is not recommended. Work fast if you go that route!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help guys. I've taken your advice and am getting in a plumber to change the stop valve in the kitchen.

:LOL:

Any useful trader tips you can give me while change a bathroom toilet and sink would be good.
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back