Adding 2 Two-way Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the poor title but let me explain.

I have a hallway with 2 lights, one upstairs and one downstairs. The downstairs light is on the downstairs circuit with a single switch for it, downstairs. Likewise the upstairs lights is on the upstairs circuit again with one switch, upstairs.

What I would like to do is have a double switch upstairs & downstairs that will operate both the upstairs and downstairs light.

I`m aware that I will need to disconnect one of the lights from its orignial circuit and move it over to the other circuit, which I am comfotable with doing providing it stayed on a single switch. What I do need to find is a wiring diagram to get both lights working from both switches.

Oh and any tips/hints would be good.

Sponsored Links
First off, look at the lighting circuits in the STICKY section at the top of this forum. And learn how lighting circuits work. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582&start=0

The next thing is that you will need to run 3-core and earth lighting cable from the upstairs to the downstairs switch positions. and connect up as shown in the drawings.

Then you'll need to disconnect one of the lights from all of its connections and run another cable (2 core and earth) from this light to the other one.

Once it is connected up you'll have a switch upstairs and another downstairs and both switches will operate both the upstairs and downstairs lights (I think that is what you want?)

You'll obviously need to chase out walls and lift floorboards to achieve this.

a lot of switches come with a sheet of paper inside the pack which shows you how to wire each switch, depending on the original installer the lights may be mid circuit or if you are really lucky they are the last light on the circuit either way you will need to remove the light from the circuit whilst maintaining the rest. this can be achieved by two ways 1 remove the next lights feed wire (onward feed from the removed one) completely and join the removed lights feed to it instead or 2. just put the original feed wires into a junction box (having removed the switch wires and the light pendant wires
hope that makes sense

then all you need is to link the new circuit into the other circuit, again making sure you still maintain a radial (daisychain) circuit supplying all the lights required

First off, look at the lighting circuits in the STICKY section at the top of this forum. And learn how lighting circuits work. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582&start=0[/QUOTE]
And since TTC never seems to remember that we have a Wiki, also look here for more information:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

The next thing is that you will need to run 3-core and earth lighting cable from the upstairs to the downstairs switch positions. and connect up as shown in the drawings.
No - 2 x 3C+E cables, one for the upstairs light, one for the downstairs one.

Then you'll need to disconnect one of the lights from all of its connections and run another cable (2 core and earth) from this light to the other one.

Once it is connected up you'll have a switch upstairs and another downstairs and both switches will operate both the upstairs and downstairs lights (I think that is what you want?)
No - he talks about two 2-gang 2-way switches. He wants the lights switched separately, but each to be 2-way.

Sponsored Links
A load of nonsense

Hombre - leave the lights alone.

Swap the switches for 2-gang 2-way ones.

Move the existing switch drops to L1 & L2 as per the diagrams for 2-way switching, and link the switches with 3C+E cables as per the same.

A load of nonsense

Hombre - leave the lights alone.

Move the existing switch drops to L1 & L2 as per the diagrams for 2-way switching, and link the switches with 3C+E cables as per the same.

Does this effectively connect up the currenly seperate upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits?

No it doesn't. Study the information in the Wiki. Learn how lighting circuits work.

So i would need 2 length of 3C+E?
Simply adding an extra switch from each switch drop. I`m with you now

BAS
You should read the OP properly before shouting your mouth off.

The OP clearly stated
What I would like to do is have a double switch upstairs & downstairs that will operate both the upstairs and downstairs light.

So that is ONE switch up and ONE down that operates BOTH lights.

So you have lead him down the wrong path by saying

I would have given him a solution for that, if he had asked for that.

And as for
And since TTC never seems to remember that we have a Wiki, also look here for more information:

electrics:lighting

I directed him to the link in the STICKY that is dedicated to lighting circuits. Its the same info, just in a different place.

Now I expect that the OP is totally confused as you've trampled all over what was the correct solution to his problem.

I knew my description would be naff.

BAS has hit the nail on the head with what I wanted and I will be doing it this weekend, your help has been appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back