Adding a garage onto side of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We currently have a detached garage at the back of our property with a driveway down the side of the house. I'd like to knock down the existing garage and rebuild it on the driveway, creating extra space in the garden. I'm unsure as to whether planning would be needed and if so, how I should proceed in order to have the best chance of it being accepted. I don't really mind about the roof so would be happy with dual pitched, single pitched or flat but as the garage would be built within 1m of the boundary fence, would a flat roof mean that no planning was needed - I have read that a permitted development must be below 2.5m. I can't see any other reasons why it would need planning permission. I have never applied for Planning permission before so I am a bit wary of the process and if I could avoid it, I would like to I think.
pvz81823fsn2.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you have all your permitted development rights intact, and you are not in a conservation area, you should be able to build something up to half the width of the original house without a planning application. The max roof height is 4m with a max eaves height of 3m if within 2m of the boundary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back