Adding a heated towel rail to CH system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First things first......I am a novice but would like to try and do this job myself. I appreciate that some things are best left to the experts....but surely this can't be rocket science??

I have a regular CH system driven by a combi boiler.

The towel rail is to be fitted in an en suite where currently there is no heating. However, there is a radiator just a few feet away in the bedroom. Running under the floorboards in the en suite, just a couple of feet away from the proposed towel rail position are the two 10mm copper, flow & return pipes for the bedroom radiator.

Is there a way in which I can just tap into those pipes in order to feed the towel rail?

Sponsored Links
If it's off 10mm then you shouldn't really run more than one heat emitter off each run, it should be piped back to the main run/manifold. Having said that, if it's only a small radiator and small towel rail you could tee into the existing 10mm pipework, you'll need to drain down the system first either way.

Sponsored Links
So it's not really the done thing to run another rad in this way? I'm still tempted to go ahead but what are the downsides to doing it in this way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back