Adding a new radiator from existing pipes in the floor above.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I'm wanting to add a new radiator to a new downstairs toilet I'm creating. I have 2 options regarding the pipes required to connect this to my central heating system.

option a) = Connect to an existing radiator on the same (ground) floor. The downside to this is that it will mean copper pipes round skirting in an area that I'd like to keep free and will mean a lot more pipework.

option b) = Connect the new radiator using the pipework feeding a radiator from the floor above. The advantage here is that there will be less pipework that can be hidden and will look a lot neater. The downside being that I've a feeling that in terms of the water pump in my boiler it's more sensible to have it pumping the water up to the floor above once then circulating round all the radiators on that floor before coming back down. Will this extra 'down and up' in my central heating system put undue pressure on my boiler pump? At some point I want to convert the loft so would like a few radiators up there too.

Can I have peoples thoughts on which is the best option here please?

Regards
Steve

Sponsored Links
No real issues, radiators on a "drop" system may suffer air locks more often, but as long as the pipe above can clear air to another radiator it should be no problem. You may need to rebalance your system after fitting the new circuit but plenty of information about that on Google.(y)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back