Adding a pump to a large rainwater tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are reinstating a fairly large (approx 2m^3) metal rainwater tank to use for garden watering. It's already about 10 feet above ground height so we'll get some flow from it but I was considering if it's feasible to add a pump. It's not possible to get inside the tank so anything would have to be done externally. Anyone done anything like this or know what sort of things I might look at?

Sponsored Links
if it's ten feet above ground then don't bother.
You could fit a soaker hose and valve.
In theory a pressure washer will feed from a water butt although I have never tried it.

I bought a cheap submersible pump from lidl/aldi but it needs to go into the tank.

I can get things inside the tank I just can't get to the inside of the outlet, if that makes sense. Not sure how submersible pumps work but presume they need to 'seal' somehow.
But I'll try it without and if we get a decent flow as you suggest, probably not bother.

You havent mentioned how far you want the water to go ie 15ft or 150ft so if you find that you do need a pump then drop a sub pump in and run the outlet hose through the side of the tank via a tank connecter high up or through the lid and out.

A powerful pump will try and twist on the hose as it runs in which case secure it to a pole and secure the pole to the tank. Also best not to let the pump sit on the bottom of the tank but rather a few inches off the bottom.

Sponsored Links
You havent mentioned how far you want the water to go ie 15ft or 150ft so if you find that you do need a pump then drop a sub pump in and run the outlet hose through the side of the tank via a tank connecter high up or through the lid and out.

A powerful pump will try and twist on the hose as it runs in which case secure it to a pole and secure the pole to the tank. Also best not to let the pump sit on the bottom of the tank but rather a few inches off the bottom.
The aim would be to put a garden tap about 10m away and 3m down from the tank (on 25mm MDPE pipe), so that this tap has pressure roughly inline with a typical mains tap in case I want to spray a hose. Not sure if pressure at the tap is all I need to consider... but if I understand rightly then it's simpler than I thought to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back