Installing a water gauge to my metal rainwater tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this metal tank for rain-water collection, it's approx 2m^3 and the only holes are on the top and where the tap comes out.

I was wondering about fitting some sort of gauge to show how full it is but I have no access to it from the inside. Is this feasible without major effort?

1660318250519.png

1660318121771.png

Sponsored Links
Check out oil tank gauges?
The simplest one is the clear plastic tube on the outside which shows the level ( Atkinson gauge) or you can get a float type which fits to any filling point.
John

You say no access from top?
where is the circular cover?
if it’s on the top, then a simple dip stick/float would work

You could tee a sight glass into that output for sure. Just needs to be a transparent pipe as high as the tank and supported somehow. The top of the pipe would be left open to allow it work.

Sponsored Links
A sight glass can be fitted on the side with two entries, one at the top and one at the bottom. So long as the air pressure in the sight glass is released back into the tank, obviating evaporation.
but as above, a simple stick with a ball float (ball cock) fitted to a rod poking out of the top would work fine
you just need to ensure that the rod stays vertical, so use a painted rod inside a C shaped rod acting as a guide.
something as simple as a black plastic 2” pipe with a wide slot, and a white 1” tube inside.

Tek Tanks sell senders and gauges, used on many boats for clean and blackwater tanks.

A sight glass can be fitted on the side with two entries, one at the top and one at the bottom. So long as the air pressure in the sight glass is released back into the tank, obviating evaporation.
That all makes sense, can you fit them from one side only e.g. no nuts on the inside? Guess this would be neatest if so, but the floating rod idea is neat and avoids holes :)

Thanks

Apart from a gauge fitted to the existing outlet, or the top, a hole generally needs a large nut on the inside.
so the easiest way is to utilise the existing outlet or use a bobbing dip stick.

Insert a t piece into the outlet of the tank and run a clear plastic hose up the side of the tank. The water in the hose will be at the same level as the tank.
Ah yes I see. The outlet directly on the tank is old and seized but we got new pieces to fit the thread so finding a T wouldn't be hard to go in line, assuming I can find clear pipe in a standard size.

B&Q have all you need.....15mm tee piece from the plumbing dept, and they have a range of clear plastic tubing.
Heating the tubing with a heat gun will enable you to stretch the tubing over a short length of pipe, secured with a jubilee clip.
Secure the top of the tubing with a pipe clip, fixed to the tank with a self tapping screw ( above water level of course!)
John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back