ADDING A ROOM OUTSIDE TO CONNECT HOUSE TO GARAGE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI EVERYONE
THIS IS A TOUGH ONE AND I HAVE BEEN RATTLING MY BRAIN AND PUTTING IT OFF FOR MONTHS .WE WANT TO BUILD A ROOM OUT BACK OF OUR HOUSE .PROBLEM IS ,THE ROOM WILL HAVE TO JOIN IN TO THE GARAGE ON ONE WALL ,ALSO THE CONSERVATORY SIDE ELEVATION ON THE OTHER WHICH HAS A VICTORIAN ROOF IN GLASS AND THEN EXTEND FROM REAR BACK WALL .SO I AM THINKING OF USING UPVC DOUBLE GLAZED FRENCH DOORS GOING OUT TO THE REAR GARDEN ,MY QUESTION IS HOW I SET OUT THE ROOF .I WILL TRY TO UPLOAD SOME PHOTOS SO SOMEONE CAN GIVE SOME GOOD ADVICE. WE EVENTUALLY WANT TO HAVE OUR BEDROOM UPSTAIRS (THE UPPER FRENCH DOORS WILL LEAD OUT ONTO A TWIN PLY FLAT ROOF )TO HAVE A VERANDER UPSTAIRS.

Sponsored Links
Difficult without any photos, but a simple flat roof sometimes is the best answer where roofs converge. I recently built a flat roof under two pitched roofs . It was covered in rubber, with the rubber upstands going up under the slates. The slates drain straight onto the rubber without any gutters. This flat roof then has about 1:80 fall to the garden away from the main house. A 1:80 can be walked on without the feeling of a slope.

When you annex a space like you are suggesting, the obvious choice of roof is a flattie.

However, there will always be issues regards joist/ceiling heights as the garage and connie are unlikely to be at the same height as the existing dwelling - usually a fair bit lower.

There may have to be compromises (upstands etc) that are not always aesthetically pleasing.

Sponsored Links
Difficult without any photos, but a simple flat roof sometimes is the best answer where roofs converge. I recently built a flat roof under two pitched roofs . It was covered in rubber, with the rubber upstands going up under the slates. The slates drain straight onto the rubber without any gutters. This flat roof then has about 1:80 fall to the garden away from the main house. A 1:80 can be walked on without the feeling of a slope.
HI AGAIN .JUST TO SAY THAT IF YOU TAP ON MY USERNAME THERE ARE SOME PHOTOS I TOOK OF AREA IN QUESTION.REGARDS.MARK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back