Adding a sewer connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to move my washing machine into the garage and have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help me with.

Firstly, there is no drain available on that side of my house (runoff uses soakaways) but there is a sewer pit about 10 foot away on the neighbours property with a free connection and he might allow me to run the waste into that pit.
I have exactly the same scenario on the other (wet) side of my house and the other neighbour has connected into 'my' pit, so I'm assuming it's acceptable?
Question - would planning/building control need to be informed about this 'new' connection or can I just connect it up?

The other neighbours existing connection was in place before I bought the house 7yrs ago and I was never told about this connection/join, should I have been told?
As the connection was already in place, I'm assuming there's nothing that could be done about it anyway and as such, the same will apply to my existing neighbour if he sells (i.e. potential buyers won't need to be informed)?

The alternative to this is to run a saniflo unit and go through my roof (I'm in a bungalow) and down to my own drain (approx 40m run).
Is this a viable proposition, I mean, I know it will work but does this sound OK or is it a bit 'hack'?
How noisey are the saniflo units?

Any other comments gratefully received!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Saniflo :mad: :evil: :evil: .........drain connection :D , but you should notify local Building Control office........+ they inspect work before covered over

lol ... I'm sensing you don't rate the saniflo then?

The only problem I have with the drain connection is that the old boy is extremely miserable and has been wrongly advised by his "knowledgable friend".

He is in hospital at the mo and likely to go to his sons/into care when he comes out so I'm hoping his son, who has power of atterny, will persuade him to allow it, hence the reason for asking about the implications for any new owners.

why not route the drain around the property and into your own i.c.?

the problem with going via the n'bours route is your drain will be on his property. not uncommon i know.

this is fine if the deeds show that they were originally laid out this way, but i bet he will be less sympathetic towards your drain should he want to do any building work on or around the pipe.

agreements made now may be reversed should anyone else move in. make sure you have a written agreement should you need to rod or repair the drain. it just bothers me that it isn't a shared run and it's good working order is only important to you.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
why not route the drain around the property and into your own i.c.?

That's about a 25m run, I don't think I can get enough fall, would 25cm be enough or should it be more?
Also I don't have a means of checking the levels from one side of the house to the other, do you think measuring off the damp course will be accurate enough?

Editted to add:
Point taken about connecting to the neighbours pit, I'll scrub that idea then, thanks for the advice.
I guess the connection into my drain by the other neighbour is probably illegal then :confused:

forcem1 said:
noseall said:
I guess the connection into my drain by the other neighbour is probably illegal then :confused:

not necessarily no. it's just that the drains that deal with foul exclusively from your property, and are not shared runs, will be a lot less important to the person with whom's land it's on.

drains require a fall of 1 in 40 or 25mm every metre. a 25m run will need 625mm of fall. :(

we have in the past laid plastic drains to a heck of a lot less fall than this and still had no problems. one particular run was 12m long and only had 125mm of fall, as this was dictated by existing manholes on a common run. you have to be very precise when drainlaying this way and can't afford any dips or humps. ;)

noseall said:
forcem1 said:
noseall said:

not necessarily no. it's just that the drains that deal with foul exclusively from your property, and are not shared runs, will be a lot less important to the person with whom's land it's on.

drains require a fall of 1 in 40 or 25mm every metre. a 25m run will need 625mm of fall. :(

we have in the past laid plastic drains to a heck of a lot less fall than this and still had no problems. one particular run was 12m long and only had 125mm of fall, as this was dictated by existing manholes on a common run. you have to be very precise when drainlaying this way and can't afford any dips or humps. ;)

You may get away with it if it is just washing machine water, but it could silt up with soapy suds after a while and need a good old rod!

I have seen foul laid at 1:120 before :eek: :eek:

Glad you said MAY get away with it ;) because I`ve seen a row of 10 houses blocked SOLID..........because only W/M+Sink wastes were in that run :mad: ...........ie. no volume of water from the WC`s

whoms, Noseall. :?: .............Caveat Emptor ,Rodders ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back