Adding a small consumer unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a whole campaign against what this site and people like you are doing and there is some pretty big organisations with government backing that will stop you

Prove it.

Show me any documentary evidence of this.

Sponsored Links
Are you gonna tell me why you wont prove your qualification and give an address to take responsibility for anyone dieing because of your advice and YOU ARE RIGHT THIS IS BORING

Read what?

I don't think this is boring and have never said it is.

All I want you to do is answer the very simple question I keep asking you

All you have to write is "yes" or "no"

Do you agree that the following statement is accurate:

"Some people will DIY their electrics regardless of wether they have the sufficient skill or level of competence or not"?

Sponsored Links
I can remember not so long back anyone could walk onto a site and say I am an electrician can they now so easily I can also remember no self cert do you really think things arent changing and in my opinion for the better

why do you keep repeating that have you been reading what i have said I am saying you are encouraging people to carry out work they are not competent to do

and all I want you and anybody else here to do is prove there qualification and provide a statement of responsibility so why cant you

I am off now anyway you obviously dont get it and it will be a long time before you do which is a shame the fact is no matter how you look at it you are encouraging non competent people to do dangerous work a trained person should be doing ta ta

I am off now anyway................ta ta

That's a relief! And I haven't even contributed to the thread! (Except Now!) :LOL:
I wonder if the OP kept up with the whole thing :D Or has it scared him away for good!

Why will you not answer a simple question?

All you have to write is "yes" or "no"

Do you agree that the following statement is accurate:

"Some people will DIY their electrics regardless of wether they have the sufficient skill or level of competence or not"?

Sidmus - what exactly is your purpose here? Maybe I'm being cynical but I think it's purely to cause trouble. If that's the case then do us all a favour and move on. It's not appreciated.

Have you helped anybody during your short stay? If so, I hope you proved your competence prior.

I’m stunned by the continuing, sometimes vituperative, discourse that has ensued since I posed a question about fitting a consumer unit in our hybrid house. Having unwittingly provoked this thread, I should say a thing or two about my own experience both as a professional AND as an experienced but never-too-late-to-learn practitioner of DIY. They are thoughts I believe to be relevant to the debate.

I was trained as a marine engineer in the 1950s and did the old “thick sandwich” course of six month each at technical college, an engineering or shipbuilding company, and at sea. It was a terrific mix of electrical as well as mechanical engineering

It was also a perfect course for those who came from a working-class background where most dads had a factory job, many were time-served fitters and turners, and few would ever think of getting a contractor in to do a domestic job like repairing a washing machine or rebuilding a garden wall. They could turn their hands to anything. My own father, a factory supervisor, built a bedding chest (still in use) out of scrap wood he collected from bomb sites when he returned from Burma after the war. As a boy of 13, I watched as he added a 13A socket to the minimal circuit in our house. He was careful and methodical, and I learned both the technical and the intellectual approach to such work.

In my twenties, I moved from working as an engineer to being a technical journalist, then became a correspondent and producer at the BBC. I never lost my interest in engineering and technology, and always tried to do jobs for myself, especially car maintenance. Subsequently, I rebuilt two houses, rewired them both, and put in central heating. There were no heavy regulations to contend with, but I tried to do all jobs with same fastidious neatness and logic that my father had applied to what he did around the house all those years before.

I believed then – and still do – that the amateur (ie he who practices an activity for the love of it rather than for remuneration) is often likely to apply the very highest standards to what he does. In the intervening years (I am now in my late sixties) I have seen and experienced some shocking handiwork perpetrated by professionals – registered electricians and CORGI fitters alike. Good floorboards shredded by impatient and incompetent electricians and plumbers, joints overheated until most of the solder has dripped out of the fitting, miswired consumer units (commonly wrongly earthed): the list is long.

So it seems to me that advice and help freely shared and on a friendly and civilised basis, between professionals AND the serious diy community is a necessary adjunct to the laws that have been (mainly for good reasons) enacted and which make for some irksome compliance but which are designed to root out the cowboys and save the foolish from themselves. Information is power and, properly distributed, a power for good.

Best wishes

Ian40

Seems to me the only arguments you have are nit picking at my punctuation
No - that was someone else. You made a sarcastic comment about the regs not requiring proper punctuation and I suggested that if you're so concerned about the standards of what people write here you should perhaps pay more attention to the quality of what you write, but at no time have I tried to judge what you say on the basis of how you say it.

and trying to make sone of my comments into some thing that I have not said quote burn all the books sorry dont get you matey I was talking about electrics and un skilled people
Unskilled people can buy books.

You want this site to stop giving advice to unskilled people - what about all the books out there?

check out page 22 iee regs competent person cant see anywhere it says a person that has been told what to do by someone they have never met or known on a forum that may or may not be competent themselves can you BAS :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
No - but I can see what it does say.

Your point is?

It is very clear that your life has been spent in books like I said have the courage of your conviction and list your qualifications
What if I had none - what would you say then?

and provide a statement that you are willing to accept the responsibility of your advice easy isnt it
Like the way that the authors and publishers of books accept responsibility for their advice you mean?

they are there to protect there members?I think you will find they are there to protect consumers and to make sure the work is done to an approved standard and protect people and property
Yes - apologies - I misread your post - I thought you were asking about the reason that Part P was introduced, and what the raison d'etre of the Competent Person schemes is.

and what I am suggesting is that you prove at the very least are prepared to take responsibility for the advice you are giving and provide some form of evidence that you are in a position to give that advice or are you as it looks trying to side step the requestby twisting my words
I've already given a straightforward response to your request.

If you want to talk about side-stepping then shall we discuss why you've not answered the question of why you want to know, and what you'd say on the basis of my answer?

I'll point out for the third time that if you have an issue with any advice I have given then I'd be happy to discuss it with you. Feel free to take me up on that at any time.

FITTING LV lights in ceiling do not tell me you did not try and make me look bad BAS
How strange that you should ask me not to tell you the truth.

Shall I follow that at all times, and never tell you the truth?

no it is advice on a subject that is potentialy dangerous and that advice could kill people and if you are prepared to be giving that advice on the understanding that people are going to follow it[otherwise why give it] then you should also be willing to accept responsibility for that advice and its outcome
In the same way that authors and publishers of books accept responsibility you mean?

and also be able to prove that you are in a position to give that advice in the first place
Please feel free to correct any bad advice that you find here.

people come to this site and take advice in good faith because they have no or little knowledge themselves on the subject.They expect this advice to be correct
Please feel free to point out any incorrect advice that you find here.

and act upon that advice believing that advice to be from a competent person
Please feel free to highlight any lack of competence as demonstrated by poor quality advice given here.

therefore the person giving that advice should be held responsible for the outcome
In the same way that authors and publishers of books are held responsible you mean?

and also proof of there position to give that advice checkable
Please feel free to highlight any bad advice given here because people don't list their qualifications.

So what exactly is the problem with people giving advice on this site having there qualications checked
Please feel free to show where bad advice has been given because those giving it don't list their qualifications.

and being held responsile for the advice they give
In the same way that authors and publishers of books are held responsible you mean?

Surely it would only be a problem to people who have something to hide correct :?:
Please explain the logic which leads you to conclude that people who choose not do do what you think they should have something to hide.

so therefore practicality is more inportant than peoples lifes :?: :!: :eek: is this a good atttitude for an electrician :?:
You're showing signs of losing the plot now.....

The problem of who would check qualifications on a forum like this should of been thought about by who evers site it is
So you think.

I guess they think differently, but as Gary suggested, perhaps you should take your grievance up with them - I'm sure they'll see it your way, what with you being so rational, and able to prove your point by reference to past posts on this very forum.

and as for should an un qualified member be banned from giving advice you are a spark?what do you think do you think someone with out proven industry knowledge be allowed to give advice I think you know my answer
"Allowed" to give.

My what a fascinating if somewhat unlikely scenario that suggests, that somehow people could be allowed or not to give advice here.

But feel free to show by reference to bad advice that such a system should be introduced if possible.

the fact is unless there is something to hide no one would mind registering there qualifications
That's a fact is it?

Should be easy for you to provide references so that we can all see that it's a fact, and not just another one of the notions whizzing around inside your head, shouldn't it.

and taking responsibility for there advice they give
In the same way that authors and publishers of books take responsibility you mean?

GaryMo are you implying I am not qualified or have relivent experience or registration or are you saying that the fact I think electrical work and advice on electrical work should only be given by provable competent people is bad
I'll leave Gary to explain anything he is or is not implying, but as for whether what you think is bad, you would have to show that advice given here is unsound because people don't prove their qualifications for it to be seen as rational.

If you needed an operation would you go to a doctor without qualifications or experience or a forum and ask for information and do it yourself
And that's a good analogy for a site advising people on DIY in what way exactly...?

GaryMo I was NOT asking you to pass any thing I was asking you why you bothered to get qualified
I hope he'll forgive me for speaking on his behalf, but maybe it's because he thought it important to protect consumers and to make sure his work is done to an approved standard and protect people and property?

as for proving that some information has saved lives it would be far more important for you to prove that it has not caused deaths or injuries which you CAN NOT.
Actually no - it doesn't work like that.

This site has been going for over 6 years and had had over one million posts made to it .

For you to come along at this point and say that it's all wrong and has to stop it really is down to you to prove your case.

Lets remember what this was about and that was people here giving advice without proving they are in a position to do so
Feel free to show examples of advice which is unsound because people haven't proved that they are in a position to give it.

and being tracable
in case a death or accident is caused because of your advice OK is that not another reason self certification schemes are there for so the person/s doing the work have to prove thier competence and are tracable
Now you are talking about the self-certification schemes, so I can accurately reply that they are there in order to increase the influence and control of electricians' trade bodies for the benefit of their members but mostly for their own benefit.

My argument has been laid before you ok you are too blind to see it PROVE YOU HAVE NOT CONTRIBUTED TO A DANGEROUS SITUATION TELL ME WHY YOU THINK THAT THIS SITE IS NO DIFFERENT THAN A HOW TO DO LIST FROM B and Q AND TELL ME WHY WE SHOULD BOTHER HAVING TRADES THERE IS JUST A FEW POINTS
LIKE I SAID FAR TO BUSY PAVING YOUR WAY TO HEAVEN AND SHOWING OFF
Remind me again what the point of you being here is?

You dont KNOW anything of the sort I think assume is the word you are looking for but every one you have given advice to that is non competent HAS been put in a dangerous situation by YOU and that IS A FACT
That's a fact is it?

Should be easy for you to provide references so that we can all see that it's a fact, and not just another one of the increasingly bizarre inventions whizzing around inside your head, shouldn't it.

because YOU have ecouraged them to do something they are NOT competent to do WAKE up you are skilled you make caltulated desicions those you have helped have at best been lucky THINK ABOUT IT
Why don't you start thinking about the FACT that nobody is agreeing with your position?

at the end of the day mate I am not the only person that dissagrees with you there is a whole campaign against what this site and people like you are doing and there is some pretty big organisations with government backing that will stop you
Really?

Got any evidence to back that claim up?

I am off now anyway
Not for good, I hope - surely after your repeated challenges to people here to list their qualifications you won't fail to respond to the challenges you have been set to show how bad advice is being given here?

[quote[you obviously dont get it and it will be a long time before you do which is a shame the fact is no matter how you look at it you are encouraging non competent people to do dangerous work a trained person should be doing ta ta[/quote]
One more challenge for you - please produce the accident statistics which show that DIY electrical work is dangerous and that only trained persons should attempt it.

Ian40

Thanks for your last post, I'm sorry that Sidmus appears to be on some sort of a mission and decided to bombard your thread with unnecessary jibberish and personal feelings.

Hope you have a clearer understanding of the work and design you intend to use, if you haven't it might be best to start a new post since this one is so full of 3rd party scribbles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back