Adding a socket to a ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to add a socket to a ring. I have located the wire but there is no slack on either side - it will become the first socket off the CU.

Are there any sockets out there that have the wires connect at the ends (in one side and out of the other) rather than both meeting in the middle where it would be difficult the wire without any slack.

I am looking to not have to chase it back to the CU and removing loads of plaster.

Many thanks,
Jack

Sponsored Links
Be generous and fit two new single sockets close together and a short length of new cable between them.

Or if you are careful you can put two single sockets into a dual back box and use a couple if inches of cable to join them.

AP636.JPG

picture from the TLC site

Be generous and fit two new single sockets close together and a short length of new cable between them.

Or if you are careful you can put two single sockets into a dual back box and use a couple if inches of cable to join them.

AP636.JPG

picture from the TLC site

Great idea - much appreciated!
Jack

Or add two single sockets, then you can get slack either side and connect across them with new cable, but before you can add any new sockets there is a requirement for 30mA RCD protection of new sockets and new buried cable.

Sponsored Links
Or add two single sockets, then you can get slack either side and connect across them with new cable, but before you can add any new sockets there is a requirement for 30mA RCD protection of new sockets and new buried cable.

Thanks - that should not be a problem - it is a newish CU and has (I will double check) the 30mA RCD.
Jack

Providing the circuit is protected via 30mA RCD protection and this is operating within it's parameters, and any newly installed cables is routed within the permitted safe zones, which I will link to you, then what you propose to do will be fine. Ideally the work should be issued with a minor works certificate.
But I will leave that with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back