Adding a Spur from the consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I want to add a double socket into a room which currently has no supply and is not close to an existing socket. It is however just the other side of a wall from the Consumer unit, so I was wondering if anyone could give me fairly detailed instructions on how to make a spur directly from the CU?
Or would it be easier to attach a spur to one of the cables just off the CU?
Either way, detailed instructions please :)

Sponsored Links
you would be better off making the new socket a part of the ring.

why not search the "how to" section, its what it is there for.

i will save you the bother it is here

I loked at that guide, but as I said, it is not close to any existing sockets.
The only part of the current electrical system it is close to is the consumer unit.
So I either need to connect directly to that or to a wire coming off that. I don't see the point in extending the whole ring for this one double socket.

After reading more about this, I think I want to add a spur using a junction box off the mains wire that comes out of the Consumer unit.
My problem now is: there are a ot of identical wire coming out and going in to the CU. How do I determine which is the mains power?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back