Adding a track to a trackless bifold door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
It's my first post....apologies if this has been dealt with many times before (I couldn't see anything similar)!
I've had a 2 panel pine bifold door between my kitchen and hall for sometime now. The door didn't come with a track and is attached by 2 regular door type hinges (i.e. to use it it's always been a manual operation to basically fold it out and insert it into the jamb). Without thinking it through at all I recently tried to add a track by cutting down the door, re-varnishing, fixing a new track etc. etc. only to find (of course) that when folded back the door edge is 2-3 inches short of the rail - i.e. this solution was never going to work as the conventional hinges don't allow the door to pivot directly under the rail!!!!
I've been thinking of ways to manufacture some kind of extender that allows the 'wheel' to stay in the track as the door is folded back, but before I waste too much time has anyone had any similar experiences and/or a solution (without buying a new door, changing the hinges etc.), please?
Thanks Matt.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back