Adding a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the future DIY projects of mine is to add an en-suite to the main bedroom. Now I'm fine with the electrics, plumbing and such like but I thought the addition of a small obscured glass window would be really nice. This would go into a standard cavity wall at first floor level.

Not that I have any intention of doing it (heights not being my thing at all) but I wondered how this was done. Since the bricks up to the plate will need to be supported whilst some form of lintel goes in, I can't work out how to do this without 20ft long ACROS.

Assuming I get someone else to do the window, how much would you reasonably expect to pay for a small ventilation window at first floor level (in a very standard 1920's house) 3ft by 2 ft?

Sorry I know these estimate questions are almost impossible to answer but I really don't know how complex this is at all.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Haggy said:
Not that I have any intention of doing it (heights not being my thing at all) but I wondered how this was done. Since the bricks up to the plate will need to be supported whilst some form of lintel goes in, I can't work out how to do this without 20ft long ACROS.
We use acrow called "strong boy prop"
50049.jpg

Assuming I get someone else to do the window, how much would you reasonably expect to pay for a small ventilation window at first floor level (in a very standard 1920's house) 3ft by 2 ft?
Can't say without looking at it,best to get a few quotes

And I thought you were old enough to be using timber needles masona. :LOL:

I had a quote yesterday to have some minor brick work done, 3 courses high by about 18ft long, cavity wall. I was quoted £350.00 per day including materials. This is in Norfolk.

Sponsored Links
GwaiLo said:
And I thought you were old enough to be using timber needles masona. :LOL:
Yeah well,at least I don't use lollipop stick for lintel as well :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back