Adding additional power sockets

Can I please ask, what is the difference between a single and a double pole 13A switched socket?

With a single-pole switched socket the switch opens only the live conductor. With a double-pole switched socket it opens both current-carrying conductors. There's no particular advantage to the latter arrangement.

Thanks again TW.
The reason I considered changing all the cables whilst extending the circuit is because I believe it is about 30 years ago when it was last rewired.

So long as it's not been subjected to direct physical damage or deteriorated due to excessive heat or something similar, there's absolutely no reason why PVC-insulated cable of circa 1980 should need replacing just because it's 30 years old.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again chaps.

I felt whilst I was extending the circuit I might as well replace all the wiring at the same time for that particular circuit. If the cable to the CU is not accessable I will leave it in place then.

Thanks again.

Thanks again chaps.

I felt whilst I was extending the circuit I might as well replace all the wiring at the same time for that particular circuit. If the cable to the CU is not accessable I will leave it in place then.

Thanks again.

The cables to the CU run through a plastered wall, I could / may chisel out in due course as the wall will be decorated in a few weeks. Two questions please:

1) Would it be worth while doing this, so as the cable on the circuit will all then be in blue / brown twin & earth and of a known age?

2) If the above is recommended to be done, should the cable be fitted into trunking, if so which type - nb it is a on a ring?

Many thanks

1) Would it be worth while doing this, so as the cable on the circuit will all then be in blue / brown twin & earth and of a known age?
It make sense to upgrade the whole circuit to new, this should give all round good test readings and the circuits life will be increased to it's full potential.

2) If the above is recommended to be done, should the cable be fitted into trunking, if so which type - nb it is a on a ring?
No need to install trunking if cables are buried in wall, you could consider oval conduit, this will give access to the cables, if they need to be rewired one day in the distant future but by then the whole house could have changed and the circuit may not be ideally located where it is now. Conduit is an option but not needed.

Sponsored Links
:eek:

Have I missed something as not one bit of advice so far has mentioned a RCD!

Personally, if I was adding numerous sockets to a RF I would want it fully tested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back