Adding an additional pane of glass to a wooden frame door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Would like some advice on insulation of the front door. The front door is made out a really nice wooden frame (looks better on the outside):
IMG_20201004_144738.jpg

And I really like the look of it, however it's not the warmest. The bottom panels were just basic thin wood ones so I was able to cover them with thermal panels (seen in purple) and it has helped. However the top ones are glass and I don't want to block the light.

My plan was to add an additional glass pane from the inside on each side to help with better insulation:
IMG_20201004_144750.jpg

There is a good 26mm gap so I could have a 12-16mm spacing between the current window and new glass pane. I did consider just replacing the current glass with triple glazing windows. However, the frame would need to be torn apart because of how it was built, so I don't really want to do that:
IMG_20201004_144809.jpg

Would adding an additional pane of glass from the inside be a good idea?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back