Adding an outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a (hopefully) simple question. In my lounge, I have a single light, controlled by two light switches (each switch at opposite ends of the room). Now, I want to add an outside light, and for it to be using the same power as the lighting in the lounge, as one of the lounge switches is on the wall next to the back door - I thought I could use this switch (somehow) and just control the outside light (it's never used otherwise). I figured that I couldn't just do that, as it's linked to the lounge light.

So, I bought a 2 gang switch, which in my mind will have one switch to retain the existing lounge lighting, and the other switch to control the outside light.

My question is, how do I wire this? There's only one permanent live, which needs to go to 2 common inputs, so I joined the two common inputs, but now the second gang switch is always on... picture attached, and any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5066 (1).JPG
    IMG_5066 (1).JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that in your picture, the white flex is for the new outside light [why flex??] and the black/brown/grey is the existing cable for the inside light.

If that's true, you can't do what you want because you don't have a neutral. (It's also possible that you don't have a permanent live; the brown wire will be permanent live at one or other of the two switches for this light, but not both - if it's wired in thr most conventional way.) So you will need to make a connection somewhere else, perhaps at a light fitting or junction box above the ceiling.

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure about the flex question... It's just what I had. What should I be using?

Yes, the black/brown/grey are for the existing light switch. The black wire appears to be always on; so is that not permanent live?

Unfortunately, I don't have any connections closer, and my walls are solid - which makes it a messier job to chase cables in the wall etc...

If that's true, you can't do what you want because you don't have a neutral. (It's also possible that you don't have a permanent live; the brown wire will be permanent live at one or other of the two switches for this light, but not both - if it's wired in thr most conventional way.)
Well, it depends of course by what you mean by the "most conventional way", but I would say that was this:

screenshot_992.jpg

in which case of course there will be a permanent live at each switch.

However...

1) Subject to confirmation, I think the OP may have this:

screenshot_992.jpg

2) You're right about the neutral.

Sponsored Links
That makes sense... I believe it's the second diagram, as that appears to resemble the logic. Oh well, I'd better find an alternative power source...

Thanks guys

Yes, the black/brown/grey are for the existing light switch.
You should have an earth connection to the new one.

The black wire appears to be always on
As shown by what? Neon screwdrivers and magic wands are not to be relied on.

Unfortunately, I don't have any connections closer, and my walls are solid - which makes it a messier job to chase cables in the wall etc...
There is no neutral at that switch - you simply will not be able to power a light from it.

Thanks again. I'm obviously not an expert, so as far as I knew neon screwdrivers illuminating means current is flowing. Perhaps I should've touched it to make sure? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back