Adding Bath Under Existing Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m planning my bathroom remodel and will be getting a plumber to do the pipe work etc, but wanted to check something.

I plan on removing the shower cubicle and replacing with a shower bath tub. We want to keep existing shower and obviously add taps for the bath. Is it easy enough for bath taps to be run off the pipe work that will be in place going to the current shower mixer? It’s a mixer type shower straight off combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's fine in principle by teeing off pipes before the mixer.

Difficult to give more details without seeing what you have.

Ideally bath's would be 22mm pipes to give better flow and your shower is likely to be in 15mm but it'll still work OK.

Sponsored Links
I in last house had shower over the bath, mother house shower in wet room, this house a shower on its own, and I had problems with mould in the house with shower over the bath, but not with other two houses, so started to look at why.

I realised it was due to gap under the shower door with the bath, this house no gap below door, mothers house no door, but house in Mold the shower doors had a chimney effect and the steam was transferred into the whole room.

So only the house in Mold has a Mould problem. But it means with a shower door sealing at bottom the extract fan is not really required, and neither is it required with no doors, but doors or curtains with gap top and bottom need a good extract fan to stop whole room getting wet.
It’s a mixer type shower straight off combi boiler.
So no point in over a 15 mm feed pipe, however do look at boiler size. With 20kW and 30 gallons of water, to heat 40ºC it will take 20 minutes, no loses. Be aware how long it will take to fill the bath, when I moved in here the shower room needed repairs, and so I had a bath, I had forgotten how long it takes.

Basically you would be doing what the normal bath/shower combo would have but in reverse. Would it be safe to presume that the shower is currently H&C mains fed?

Usually the main bath feeds would then spur off to feed an over the bath mains fed shower mixer as both wouldn't normally be used at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back