Adding doors to kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add doors to some open cupboards in my kitchen (see picture) but I can't figure out how to do the hinges because the frame is quite wide. The usual concealed hinges would have the doors set away from the edge of the cupboard, which would look untidy. I could address that by adding some trim, but really I just want a nice clean line. The alternative would be to use simpler non-concealed hinges, but again, not such a great look.

Are there any solutions to this that I haven't thought of?

Attachments

• 15228410554631118206359.jpg
    15228410554631118206359.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 264
Sponsored Links
you could use butt hinges then, on the end of the side panel and the rear face of the door. Brass might look nice. The knuckle of the hinge would be visible.

Sponsored Links
I was afraid that would be the answer! I don't have a router and my chiselling is atrocious.

You could rebate the hinges into the sides to remove most of overhang , can be done with drill and suitable bit.

yes 2.5mm pilot hole no4 /3mm screws
if you use a power screwdriver do not overtighten
if you are not sure stop a couple off turns short and tighten with a hand screwdriver and you will be fine

Thanks! Pilot holes will help keep things true as well, and I've heard of people dipping screws in pva for mdf so I'll do that. Doors will be 18mm so hopefully enough strength there.

ok go for 4x5/8" [silver colour]or 3x15mm[brassed colour] screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back