Adding dry lining socket in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4E93604B-DFB7-4836-BB39-DBD527A42521.jpeg
D1CEB692-6E9F-4B08-AF90-4FE438BFC73E.jpeg
Hi

Just put 32” TV on wall. The mains wire isn’t long enough to reach nearest socket, and would look ugly anyway. Temporary fix is connection via adaptor (photos below)

Would you recommend extending from the socket shown, junction box from cable, surface conduit etc.

(The wall is egg box plasterboard. TV is secured by six Gripit fixings. Will also fit radiator cover to mitigate heat problems)

Thanks for your time.

L

Sponsored Links
I agree, picture v misleading. Bottom of TV is 1.4m from ground. RU able to offer anything re socket issue?

Thanks

Have a sparks fit a proper socket behind the TV with the cable buried. Use a double socket for future needs. What are those cables above? Aerial feeds, HDMI perhaps. These need burying as well.

Sponsored Links
Well, if you don't mind surface trunking, that will do.

Other than that, you will have to bury the cable, with all that that entails - correct routes (vertical or horizontal from accessories etc.)

Can you come down from upstairs?
Much less distance and even a short straight vertical bit of surface conduit won't look TOO bad.

You have our deepest sympathy...

That’s what you get with Wimpey 1981 vintage Yes, TV aerial(definitely TV, but v old) Should have explained that this is a bedroom, so no upstairs etc. The only other socket in this bedroom is low down in the opposite corner. Is the cable likely to connect the two sockets via the wall or under floorboards? Also, if I go with ugly surface conduit, would you direct that horizontally and then vertically to position new socket nearer to TV?

Thanks again.

if I go with ugly surface conduit, would you direct that horizontally and then vertically to position new socket nearer to TV?
No, that doesn't have to be horizontal/verical but it will look even worse running in a straight line between socket and tv.

That'll date back to 405 line VHF TV then which closed down in 1984. Definitely not suitable today.
It obviously does in this case and as someone who regularly gets involved with radio things, I'll say that far too much emphasis is placed on the specifics of receiver aerials.

Hi again

Spark coming up next week to install extra sockets. Can I ask additional question. The radiator in the picture is standard, 160 cm bedroom job. However, for the life of me, I can’t find a shelf that will fit this. (All seem to be single size!)

Ta

Are you an RF expert? Or do you live in an exceptionally strong signal area?
My working life has included broadcast & 2 way radio and I have long since ceased to be surprised what does and doesn't work despite the computer predictions. When getting links set up for outside broadcasts or radio comms some amazing botches get created. TV wise I have been lucky that I'm fairly near a transmitter and doing the PA/AV work have regularly made temporary arrangements with just a short piece of wire poked into the aerial socket. Not quite so easy now with digital which needs a better signal though.
In OP's case the current arrangement seems to work for him.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back