adding fernox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

i want to put some fernox into my system, i have a hot water cylinder, no header tank or combi boiler, how do i drain this system and where does the fernox get added ????
cheers

Sponsored Links
Look for a drain cock on the central heating pipework. Don't drain from the one on the hot water cylinder. Central heating circuit drain cock might be next to a radiator valve, near boiler or even on a pipe sticking out of the house at the lowest floor level. If there's no drain cock, look for a radiator or towel rail with a 1/2 inch BSP plug on the top. Close both valves on the radiator, de pressurise it by loosening the bleed screw, and then (GET A SHALLOW BOWL OR TRAY READY FIRST!) loosen one of the nuts that connects one of the valves to the radiator (NOT THE ONE THAT CONNECTS THE VALVE TO THE PIPE). Hopefully you can (gently) get the valve on pipe away from the radiator enough to catch the water in a bowl! Drain at least the volume of inhibitor you need to add. Put valve back onto radiator and re-tighten the nut. Now remove the 1/2 inch BSP plug on the other side of the bleed screw and using a funnel, add the inhibitor. Put the plug back in (using ptfe tape), and then open the radiator valves. Bleed any air and bring system back to correct pressure via the filling loop. Switch on central heating to circulate the inhibitor, making sure valves on that radiator are fully open.

There might be an easier way to do it on your system (somewhere to inject the inhibitor) , but the above method works if all else fails!

Sponsored Links
After draining down to below level of top of radiator concerned...

I add inhibitor via a rad: take out the top bung (like the air bleed screw but just a blank). Insert one end of a 15mm iso valve and gently tighten. On other end of iso valve is small length of copper pipe connected to small length of hose and then funnel. Pour inhibitor into funnel which then flows thru hose and past iso valve into rad (make sure iso valve open lol). You may need to open opposite air bleed valve to allow air to escape as inhibitor enters. One can add inhibitor like this at any time - just drain down some water, add inhibitor to a upstairs rad, then refill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back