Adding more sockets with FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m wanting to add more sockets to my bedroom and dining room three doubles in each room can I add a FCU to a socket in each room and add the sockets that way or is this a bad idea?

I have a ring main running a 30a fuse for all sockets in the house as it’s a old cartridge type CU.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello, I’m wanting to add more sockets to my bedroom and dining room three doubles in each room can I add a FCU to a socket in each room and add the sockets that way or is this a bad idea?
Yes -

but new sockets should be 'protected' by an RCD, so you could fit an RCD FCU - or fit a stand-alone RCD next to the fuse box which would 'protect' all the sockets on the circuit, although you would still need the FCU for more than one socket on a 2.5mm² cable spur.

If you use 4mm² cable for the spur then the FCU is not required but the RCD would be.

Thanks I’m getting the CU replaced in two weeks so it will have RCDs for my handy work to be protected. Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back