FCU to sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I want to add some more sockets in a room, I am currently thinking either.

1. Replace the socket for an FCU then add the sockets, would this be the correct way to do it?

I would like to add two extra double sockets, or would I be better extending the ring?

The problem is the ring has been extended in the past, so I thought adding a FCU and sockets onto that would be safer.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you are more confident with the FCU route and you have RCD protection on your existing sockets then i advise this is the better option. If you do not have RCD protection you could add it by installing a RCD FCU.

Kind regards,

DS

I presume you realise that the one potential downside of the FCU approach (as opposed to extending the ring) is that the current available to all of the new sockets you add will be limited to 13A total (over all the new sockets). If that's enough for you, then fine.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes John, I realise that this is limited to 13A but this should be enough, its just to add an extra two sockets for low power devices like, a phone charger / lamp.

Yes John, I realise that this is limited to 13A but this should be enough, its just to add an extra two sockets for low power devices like, a phone charger / lamp.
Fair enough - that sounds fine, then.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - that sounds fine, then.
As BAS has just pointed out in your original thread, it is still necessary for you to be absolutely sure that the socket from which you are spurring (for the FCU) is actually 'on the ring' and not itself already a spur (in which case spurring from it would not be allowed) - as he points out, the fact that it has two cables going to it does not, in itself, prove that it is part of the ring.

Kind Regards, John

Hello I want to add some more sockets in a room, I am currently thinking either.

1. Replace the socket for an FCU then add the sockets, would this be the correct way to do it?

I would like to add two extra double sockets, or would I be better extending the ring?

The problem is the ring has been extended in the past, so I thought adding a FCU and sockets onto that would be safer.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

The OP clearly states that he would REPLACE the existing socket with a fcu which would supply the additional sockets.

It makes no difference whether the socket is on a ring or radial

It meets the requirments of the regs.

Kind Regards,

DS

The OP clearly states that he would REPLACE the existing socket with a fcu which would supply the additional sockets. ... It makes no difference whether the socket is on a ring or radial ... It meets the requirments of the regs.
If the OP were to replace a socket which were definitely part of a ring (or, as you say, part of a radial circuit) with his FCU, then there clearly would be no problem. Indeed, if cables sizes (and OPD) were appropriate, an FCU would not be needed if it were a radial - the new sockets could just be 'branched' from an existing one.

I suspect that BAS's point was that if the socket the OP was going to replace with an FCU were part of a (non-compliant) 'string of {unfused} spurred sockets' from a ring (something which cannot be ascertained just by counting cables), the situation would remain non-compliant (with the potential total load on the unfused spur even greater than it was before).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back