Adding new appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 70s style electric set up 4 socket consumer unit, Lights, Cooker, ring main, spare.
I currently use the spare to run the conservatory ring main and out to the shed via an RCB.
Now I want to add a electric shower, which will need its own fuse way, so a larger consumer unit?
Do I have to replace the existing unit ( a professional job I assume) or is there another way of adding more fuses into the system?
I can do basic electrics but draw the line at working the "wrong" side of the consumer unit!
Thx

Simon

Sponsored Links
The only other way to do it is to cut the tails between the meter and CU, install a henly block, and connect a second new consumer unit to the henly block, but if you are going to these lengths you may like to use the oppourtunity to have your old fuse box upgraded too.

(you are not forced to replace the old fuse box, but it is a good idea to really)

Having just searched on Henly Block, and ended up back at DIYnot! I have decided that the idea of cutting into tails between the main fuse and the cu is beyond my skill level, I am fine with 12v but not with 240v at 50A!
so, out with yellow pages, and that way I can get the old cu replaced with the same time.

What in h*** is a P-certificate? if I get a lectrician to replace the cu are they going to walk around the house going "dear oh dear oh dear"......

humm, maybe I do not need a lectric shower after all!! :confused:

gonesailing said:
What in h*** is a P-certificate?
There is no such thing.
...if I get a lectrician to replace the cu are they going to walk around the house going "dear oh dear oh dear"......
The wiring regulations require that all electrical installation work is inspected, tested and certified. (Not all 'electricians' know this... :cry: )

The building regulations require that certain works are notified to local authority building control and inspected to ensure compliance with all the relevant parts of the building regulations. Part P is the section of the building regs which governs electrical installations, but you also have to comply with applicable sections of parts A-N as well!

Eletricians should not work on circuits that are not inherently safe and that includes the essential protective measures of earthing and bonding. So, yes, there is a good chance that, especially if your installation is old, a certain amount of remedial work may also be necessary.

Sponsored Links
gonesailing said:
Having just searched on Henly Block, and ended up back at DIYnot!
Well, come on, it was a bad idea to leave anyway! Why would you want to leave?!?!

gonesailing said:
I have decided that the idea of cutting into tails between the main fuse and the cu is beyond my skill level, I am fine with 12v but not with 240v at 50A!
Hmmm . . . just as well, since its more likely to be 230V at 80 or 100A. (Though it could be anywhere between 215 and 250v) ;)

gonesailing said:
if I get a lectrician to replace the cu are they going to walk around the house going "dear oh dear oh dear"......
That depends what the state of the wiring is! Can you see any of it? Perhaps take a photo of some of it? And a photo of the mains incoming and fusebox - we might be able to tell you the rough extent of work required.

gonesailing said:
humm, maybe I do not need a lectric shower after all!!
Not on that fusebox matey! :LOL: They were never designed for loads over 30 amps per circuit, total rating 60 or 80 amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back