Adding new light in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to add a new light in my garage, changing the existing single switch to a double, so the new light can be turned on/off independently. My new light fitting is metal, so needs an earth.

There is one electric feed into the garage - into a double wall socket, then from the socket to a single plastic light switch. Then, the same cable from the light switch to a junction box that spits to three LED strip lights.

I isolated the power, and had a look how the existing single light switch is wired. The earth and neutral are not connected at all - they run straight through up to the junction box. The live has been cut and one end connected to COM, the other end just dangling free.

I would like the new light to be operated from its own switch, and thought the easiest way to do this would be to use the existing switch. Now, i'm thinking it may be better to add it in after the junction box. I hope this makes sense - any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you were to add it after the junction box, your existing 3 lights would have to be on, to enable the new light to work.

Best to run it from the switch. You will need to tap into the neutral at the switch, to connect to new light
as well as fitting a double switch.

pictures behind existing switch always help

Does the existing switch have a fuse built in? If yes this complicates things, and have to rethink

Thanks Andy - I have pasted a picture of the switch. On closer inspection, the live was connected to COM and L1, my removing the plate just dislodged it.
The wire coming in the bottom is feed in, the wire going out the top goes to the junction box.

In between the double socket and feed in, is a 5amp fuse with an isolation switch.

upload_2021-8-30_12-50-16.png

Sponsored Links
You can do as I said.

the back box isn’t very deep though.
You may want to get a deeper one (with earth terminal).
or ensure you can joint terminals in the back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back