Adding pillar to existing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing garden wall between myself and next door, it's solid and stable enough but there are cracks down the mortar roughly every 2 metres, having peeked over the neighbours side there are no pillars along the length of the wall only at one end (it ties to another wall at the other end.) As it's my responsibility, would it be possible for me to remove the mortar, take out the blocks and tie in a couple of pillars every 2 metres or so?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What problem are you trying to solve? That cracking may well be from nothing to do with lack of piers.

And widening the foundations for the piers too?

Yes I'd be adding a foundation for the piers, the cracking is down the length of the mortar and through both sides of the wall, I'm worried that it may not take too large a gust of wind or something for the wall to come down, I have a young son and the house next door is in the process of being bought by a family. I just want to make it safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back