Adding power socket to light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

Can any one give me an idea of how to add a plug socket into an existing light switch. In my garage, a light switch is present and I would like to add a three-pin plug socket to it, so I can operate some small appliances like power tools or a little bar fridge and also use the light switch.

Please help. Cheers. :)

moved as posted in wrong forum (UK electrics)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I don't think we are up to scratch on our Australian wiring regs.

1) You're on the wrong board - this is Electrics UK - people here will not be familiar with Australian wiring practices or Australian regulations.

2) You almost certainly can't do what you want - lighting circuits are not designed to accommodate such loads, and light switches often don't have a neutral present..

The legal restrictions in Aus are massively different from the UK, but many of the Regs are similar.

I have asked an Aussie mate who is a spark there..when not touring the world and working in the Pub!, and he says that this is the same as the UK..

As BAS has stated, you cannot add a socket to a lighting circuit and certainly not from the switch pition, it is likely it does not have a neutral anyway, but even if it does you still cannot do it.

Robbo said "Call an electrician in you daft Gullar" (That's the polite version!!!)

Sponsored Links
Guys,

Appreciate your replies. At least now I know that i cant do it and need to call an electrician.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Back