Adding shaver point to bathroom... advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im currently doing renovation work in my ensuite and am thinking I might as well put in some power for a shave point and possibly a lit mirror. As far as 'zones' in the room go - it will meet regs but i have a few qeustions...

im thinking of chasing cable into wall, up into loft and connecting it using one of those round junction block things onto the existing upstairs light ring - is this acceptable? or maybe the 240v supply I have going to the extractor fan?

if this is ok, do i have to get this work signed off? what are the rules?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
any electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable.. ( see wiki for info on part p, or search the forum for it, it's mentioned almost hourly.. )

it's ok to do what you say providing that you use the correct cable and install RCD protection if it's not already fitted, and as long as the JB is still accessible for testing..

u should look at getting a 12 or 24 volt extractor fan, easy enough to get a transformer, or u can get fans with traformers built in.

also, shaving point/light mirror/combi etc should be fine to run of exisitng lighting circuit providing the circuit isnt taking to much load (how many lights on it?). only possible problem is if the lighting feed is in the switch, which will require you to chase from switch to shaving point imstead of from celing to shaving point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back