extractor and shaver socket in bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm forming a new ensuite off my room, the room will encompass an already existing velux window.

I have easy access to the ring main, so was thinking i could use a junction box to create a spur, put a fused connection unit on the spur, then run a shaver socket and a selv extractor fan from that.

i'm going to buy one with a humidistat so it only comes on when the shower is on so I'm not bothered about wiring it into the lighting circuit.

As this work is notifiable and will be doing it myself, i'm just wondering if this is an acceptable solution.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
as long as the fused spur is not in the bathroom then yes it's acceptible..

is the ringmain currently protected by an RCD?

if it is, it might be advisable to also put the lights off a / the fused spur as this then takes care of RCD protection of the bathroom..

will the shower be electric heated or power shower?

either way any electrics to it need to be RCD protected..

the fused plate will be on the outside of the bathroom wall in the landing with the cables run through the studwork.

shower is going to be mains pressure hot water so no electrics there, will need to check my ring main and see if it is RCD protected though.

if not I could buy an RCD for the spur and run everything off it including the lights, would make it easier for me to run the cables and I guess simpler for BC to sign off on?

i have seen socket sized RCD's on the web, which I could put in the hall inplace of the fused unit?

Thanks,

Murray.

Sponsored Links
You're possibly going to need to extend the supplementary bonding to include this circuit.

And ALL the existing circuits too, which we don't know about...

Oh and ensure the MPBs are upto spec, which we don't know about

etc.

does it say all circuits in the entire installation?

if he does as he's sugesting and running the lights, shaver socket and extract fan off an RCD spur from the ringmain, and with no electric shower then that IS all the electrics in the bathroom ( I'm taking a leap of faith here that the velux doesn't have electric openers )

yes you're right in as much as the main water bond needs to be in good order or plastic pipes to feed the bathroom, but I made the asumption that it is.. as it should be anyway regardless of having a bathroom installed..

Are you certain there are no other circuits in there and the MPBs are upto scratch?

No, neither am I, thats why I said it is a possibility.

Alrighty, no other circuits at all in the bathroom other than what i actually decide to install.

The hot/cold pipes i'm going to extend to the new ensuite run through my downstairs airing cupboard and i can see they are bonded together. I can see that my consumer unit is earthed off my gas and water main (aplogies if this is not related to what we are discussing)

all the circuit breakers in my fuse box say "mem m6 type 1" on them if that helps describe my setup any?

When you tell me what an MPB is I'll see if i can find out if they are upt to scratch! :)

MPB = Main Protective Bonding..

and you just did... the bonding to the gas and water...

Hi Muzz You said that all the MCbs in the d.b are MEM type 1 M9. there an old style MCB to BS 3871. As you are putting new circuits into a bathroom which is designated a Special location all citcuits have to be RCD protected including lighting circuits.
As for Supplimental bonding in the Bathroom If you can get your hands on an good low reading Ohmeter use a long lead from the main earth in the D.B and go round all exposed metal parst such as heaters metal taps and such. if the reading is under 0.05 ohms your suplimental bonding should be ok.

Hi Muzz You said that all the MCbs in the d.b are MEM type 1 M9. there an old style MCB to BS 3871. As you are putting new circuits into a bathroom which is designated a Special location all citcuits have to be RCD protected including lighting circuits.

Do you mean that i would need to replace these with a newer style consumer unit with rcd, or just that i definitely need to include an RCD on the spur serving my new bathroom electrics?

I shall check my multimeter and see if it's up to the job, thanks.

Do you mean that i would need to replace these with a newer style consumer unit with rcd, or just that i definitely need to include an RCD on the spur serving my new bathroom electrics?
An RCD FCU will be fine.

BTW - don't mess around with a JB if you can avoid it - put the FCU directly onto the socket circuit.

I shall check my multimeter and see if it's up to the job, thanks.
Almost certainly won't be...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back