adding shine to a paint job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
ive been out sanding and painting my daughter seat with gun metal metallic paint, ive only painted over half the panel as needed however the paint sprayed on is more of a mat colour than the shiny old stuff below coats of laquer.

how do I get the new shiny do I just spray it with laquer or does it need polishing before laquer job

thanks

terry

Sponsored Links
Rub it down lightly then go over with lacquer and it will come up nicely at that point. Remember to do a very thin layer of lacquer first otherwise it will run, and be careful not to hold the can still when applying the successive coats.

If the grain's not quite right though when you're finished then leave it to a body shop; metallics are a nightmare to DIY correctly, especially from cans.

thanks for your reply,ill give it a go soon as the weather is dry enough to work outside.

cheers
terry

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the input guys, ive enrolled at college to do a level 1 diploma in vehicle refinishing having dumped my level 3 diploma mechanics due to cost of 5500 quid compared against spray painting being free

what college have told me is leave the new paint as it is scotch pad the old stuff and laquer the whole panel does that sound right to you guys.
cheers
terry

Not sure what you mean, are you going to leave it of scotch it?

We just cutback the complete panel with compound (T-Cut) on a clean cloth. Ensure completely clean with a tack wipe, then clear coat complete panel. Because if you go to hard with the sanding on the colour coat you will see it through the clear. Some have even been known to clear coat straight onto the colour.

Have a wee look on U-Tube and keep the fan(spray pattern) nice and wide, you don't want a run after all your hard work. And you can always put another bit on, hard to take it off .... :)

Good luck with the course, pity about the cost of mechanics, as it would have been a good wee earner for you. Nearly as good as crash repair, if you like it?

Back