Adding socket into cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im fitting a shower pump into my airing cupboard but need a plug socket in there. I have a socket just 3 feet away in the hallway and was hoping I could spur off of that. If thats possible, what am I looking for to know it will be okay?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am no electrician but rather than spurring, it's not massively harder to make it into a ring extension?
Unless it's already a "spur off a spur"?

does a shower pump take a big load?

Is there no wiring already in the airing cupboard? One would expect immersion wiring or something to be there.

Sponsored Links
The wiring comes out of immersion at top of tank then into the wall through an unswitched flex outlet. The actual switch for the immersion is in the kitchen.

Hi
Im fitting a shower pump into my airing cupboard but need a plug socket in there. I have a socket just 3 feet away in the hallway and was hoping I could spur off of that. If thats possible, what am I looking for to know it will be okay?
Thanks
Show us a pic of the wiring at the socket that you intend to spur from,turn the power off beforehand. And tell us what protects the circuit that it is on ,fuse rating or MCB rating

Here is the hallway socket. The fuse in the cupboard for that circuit is 30A.
C05E318F-7BEF-42F6-9B76-F99A5D7E9A81.jpeg

Would appear to be a ring final circuit then.You would need to check at that socket that it is actually an integral part of the ring ,and if it is ,you can take a spur from it.
It could be a spur ,feeding another spur, but that's probably unlikely. You need to test to establish.

Yes you can spur off that. Use an FCU with a 5amp fuse in it.

PS. there’s some discolouration on the live (red) wires. May be loose terminals. Check the tightness of all connections.

Okay thanks. So can I remove plug from shower pump and wire it into a switched FCU with a flex outlet or. Yeh that discolouration shows up worse in the picture. It was just that the wire had been stripped back to much. Sorted now

A new socket would have required Rcd protection whereas a FCU in most cases does not.
Looking at the Solid Green sleeving and mention of 30Amp Fuses its likely your circuit does not have any existing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back