Adding socket to Consumer Unit - notifiable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there are already some spare MCB's fitted! including a B16

Don't even have to touch the bus bar !
Good point!

And if we wanted to point out the ridiculousness of it even more, what if you already had, say, a 20A MCB feeding just a double socket somewhere which you could convert to being a spur off the 32A ring MCB?

Add the wiring to your new socket to that existing 20A MCB, and transfer the original cable from it to the ring MCB. Result: Your new socket on its own dedicated MCB without having created a new circuit and making the work notifiable.

Sponsored Links
Connect a new socket using 2.5mm upto a existing 16A MCB and that is against the regulations.
Which regulation(s) does that contravene?
I was going to say "Law" but I think that is was the correct word. What should the word be Ban ?
I presume you mean '(physically) existing but unused'? I think the point is that is is not (if done properly) against any regulations, nor against any laws, but the law does require notification, which it wouldn't if the new socket were connected to an existing MCB (even a 32A one) which was already supplying a ring or radial circuit.

We all sometimes mock some of these illogicalities in the regulations, but if you've ever had to write, or review, any rules, regulations or legislation, you will know how difficult it can be to be exhaustive enough to think of all possible situations and thereby avoid any 'silly' consequences of what one is writing!

Kind Regards, John

Yes I'm sure those writing the rules were aware, but had to go with some easy to follow rules.

Yes I'm sure those writing the rules were aware, but had to go with some easy to follow rules.
... except that they failed to produce rules that were "easy to follow", since there is ongoing debate as to what constitutes 'a new circuit' or, in some cases, even what constitutes 'a circuit'! However, as I implied, I think I would probably struggle to produce a set of notification rules about such matters which were clear, sensible and not unduly complex.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
A consumer unit is a thing which contains both a main switch and the fuses or breakers.

So a Distribution Board is not a consumer unit, and a Main Switch is not a consumer unit.

I have heard the idea mused that you could wire your house without a consumer unit, if you wanted to avoid the rules.

Hi,

I'm the OP and it's certainly been an interesting discussion. I got some quick quotes to do the work, but I don't fancy paying £100 for a job I can do myself. I think I'll spur my new socket off the 32A ring and be done with it. As has been suggested, if I really care about my device's uptime I should invest in a UPS.

That said, I do have some sympathy for the position of PBC_1966 and others: the rules do seem somewhat arbitrary. I'd also say that I didn't interpret any comments as an encouragement to do something unlawful. Rather, as a suggestion of what the consequences of various courses of action would be. I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions.

And to be honest, the potential consequences would be my motivation for sticking to the letter of the regs: I suspect no local authority would notice or enforce the rules in this case, and even if I sold the house and a surveyor kicked up a fuss - I could simply remove the socket. But maybe an issue arises if there's any kind of fire in the house: I don't trust that a over zealous loss adjuster won't note that one of the MCBs has been labelled in a different hand and refuse an insurance claim!

Anyway thanks all,

Last edited:
Let's see: Hand over a couple of hundred pounds to get a piece of worthless paper from the local authority (or more likely to argue about whether they would issue it), or keep the money and actually have enough to pay the food and heating bills at the end of the month. I'm quite happy that when in England my choice was quite moral and decent, thank you.
Then you are a liar, and a cheat, and you should try to get a new moral compass because yours is broken.

I was going to say "Law" but I think that is was the correct word.

What should the word be Ban ?
Don't ask me - it was not I making the claim.

Connect a new socket using 2.5mm upto a existing 16A MCB and that is against the regulations.
You are telling us that it is against regulations. You may not do that unless you know, or think you know, which regulations it contravenes, so please tell us.

A thing which does not contain a main switch and fuses or breakers is not a consumer unit.

There are an infinite variety of things that are not consumer units.

Indeed.

Some you can eat.

Some will eat you.

Some you can have sex with.

But in terms of components in an electrical installation, what would be the function of something which if you had it would mean that you did not need a consumer unit?

I might have the whim to install a consumer unit, but instead, install some other items that were not consumer units and were therefore not notifiable, but which, together, fulfilled my needs and desires to the same extent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back