Adding sockets and lights to a new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new extension is now watertight and my next job will be adding new sockets and lights
My question is What is the easiest way to do this?
Do I need to add the sockets to the existing downstairs ring or can I come off the nearest socket add a fused spur and then loop in and out of each socket?Ditto for the lights

Sponsored Links
Much better to add them to the ring. Using an FCU will limit the total load. Lights can be added to the downstairs lighting circuit. Do building control know about this?

Yes building control are involved but I havent spoken to him about this yet

Often the easy way is a fused spur, but question is what load are you likely to put on them? I have seen before where an extension has no heating so the user ends up with an electric heater, and then more and more is added. So down to first signature on an installation certificate. Design and we are not designing it, you are, so you have to consider what extra load it will be on the system.

So for example if your extension is to be used as a utility room, with electric heater, washing machine, tumble drier and a chest freezer then looking at a dedicated ring for the room, but if simply a store room then socket is just for vacuum cleaner, so until one knows that can't even start, also if coming from an existing ring how close to origin or centre of ring, at centre not much of a problem, near origin may need to come direct from consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Ups you may be a bit late, you normally have to tell the LABC at start if your not using a scheme member to wire it. Were there any tick boxes in the application? When I wanted to DIY the electrics in my mothers wet room it took a lot to persuade them I had the skill required, they would not accept C&G 2391 which my son had, or that he had insurance to cover, they insisted I signed the certificates as for some unknown reason they thought a degree in electrical and electronic engineering made me more qualified.

But presumably you did apply for approval before you started the build?

If you did, then you really must find out what they are expecting to happen wrt the electrical work - if you didn't have anything about that on your submission then chances are their default, (and therefore now what they will be wanting to happen) is using a registered electrician.

Even if by default you've "told" them that, and you then go and DIY, don't be surprised or disappointed if you run into problems with getting your completion certificate.

If you didn't apply in advance, and went down the bonkers route of a Building Notice, you must speak to them before you do any DIY electrical work, because, again, they might be assuming a registered electrician. Given the level of competence your question betokens, don't be surprised or disappointed if they will not accept you DIYing.

And just in case you were wondering (this is not a veiled accusation, it's just that this is a very common "plan" people have), you cannot DIY and then "get an electrician to sign it off" - it doesn't work like that.

To be honest, building control may not be so pedantic about this.
For ours they put in the notes for the conditional approval that a part p certificate needed to be supplied before completion, I just replied and said I'll be doing it myself and I won't be adding any new circuits. After chasing them a couple of times they said it's just for information and whatever I do it's fine.

To be honest, building control may not be so pedantic about this.
They all vary, and it's unwise to assume what their position will be.

Some, for example:
For ours they put in the notes for the conditional approval that a part p certificate needed to be supplied before completion, I just replied and said I'll be doing it myself and I won't be adding any new circuits. After chasing them a couple of times they said it's just for information and whatever I do it's fine.
don't discharge their duties properly.

Whatever it is, it will not be affected by being asked, so the act of asking carries no risks. Not asking does, so WOE not ask?

Some, for example: don't discharge their duties properly.

Whatever it is, it will not be affected by being asked, so the act of asking carries no risks. Not asking does, so WOE not ask?
Well if I'm not adding new circuits then as long as they are happy I haven't otherwise breached building regs then I don't see the problem.
And I presume that submitting full plans then receiving their comments and conditional approval is classed as asking, and it cost several hundred pounds. I'd class that as a good enough reason!

Well if I'm not adding new circuits then as long as they are happy I haven't otherwise breached building regs then I don't see the problem.
I'm not sure what "problem" you think I've suggested there is.

And I presume that submitting full plans then receiving their comments and conditional approval is classed as asking, and it cost several hundred pounds. I'd class that as a good enough reason!
Your LABC may not be the same one as the OP's, and it may not operate in the same way.

I honestly cannot think of any way to explain it more clearly so that you get it. Whatever the OP's LABC is expecting to happen, that expectation will not be changed by him asking what it is. And if their expectation is not that he will be DIYing it, then how on earth can you possibly think that it would be better for him to find out that what he did was not what they were expecting, after he's gone and done it?

Me neither
Oh - I see.

So if you thought that there was no "problem" being suggested, why did you write "Well if I'm not adding new circuits then as long as they are happy I haven't otherwise breached building regs then I don't see the problem"? Was any logic or reasoning involved?

Well don't struggle too hard as I'm not that bothered
You were bothered enough to try and make out that your experience with your LABC should be taken as a reason to not follow my suggested course of action.

Was any logic or reasoning involved?
None that you'd be interested in
You were bothered enough to try and make out that your experience with your LABC should be taken as a reason to not follow my suggested course of
I think you're reading far too much into my posts. I've long since stopped worrying about how to make sure my comments for in with the ways you view the world. Fun as it may be, life is too short to play games with you all day.

None that you'd be interested in
On the contrary - that is all I am interested in wrt this.

I've long since stopped worrying about how to make sure my comments for in with the ways you view the world.
Those will be the ways of truth, logic, reason and intelligence.

Are they they things you don't worry about when you post?

Fun as it may be, life is too short to play games with you all day.
Stop playing them then, and behave in a serious manner.

Simple question for you:

Do you think that this was good advice, or do you think the OP should not find out what his Building Control are expecting to happen?

Simple question for you:

Do you think that this was good advice, or do you think the OP should not find out what his Building Control are expecting to happen?
I haven't fallen for the "have you been caught sniffing your mum's knickers" type question since primary school.:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back