adding sockets to a ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
read the above comments with interest as I am just doing this. Having got everything ready to join up to the ring I happened to glance at the wiring instructions that came with the socket and they show mysterious extra wire going from the earth terminal labelled 'to earth terminal in box' I was rather thrown by this as I couldn't see any such wire in the existing circuit - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
connect all your wires at each socket to the appropriate hole on the back of the socket. then, use an offcut of the bare earth wire to connect the earth on the back of the socket to the earth terminal on the back plate. make sure all the earth wires are sleeved too.

It is generally recommended to connect an earth from the socket to the metal back box. This is because all accessible metalwork containing single insulated cables should be earthed.

However, it has also been held that provided the back box has at least one fixed screw lug, then the screw through the front plate will make the connection. Most sockets have an earthed metal strap connecting the screw holes and this then connects through the screw to the back. This is not allowed if both the lugs the screw goes into are the sort which slide up and down. Presumably they are not thought good enough contacts.

So it is possible the guy who installed whatever you are looking at was of the school of thought that an additional wire connection was not necessary.

Sponsored Links
thanks to all for the comments above.

I am using plastic backplates with no terminal - does that make it alright - or should I choose metal ones?

Plastic boxes do not need earthing, so not having an earth terminal is of no consequence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back