Adding sound proofing to a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am fed up with the crap sound insulation in the stud wall that separates my bedroom from the rest of the 1st floor in my house. So I want to add 60kg/m3 Rockwoll insulation and replace one side of the stud wall with 15mm soundbloc plasterboard.

The stud wall has various sections and after making a few holes I discovered that the stud depth is 4cm in some places and 9cm in others. I really want to maximise the sound insulation by using 5cm and 10cm Rockwool. So my question is....

Whats the easiest way of increasing the depth of the stud wall by 1cm?

Thank you for your help and please note that I am a relative novice at DIY :)

Sponsored Links
The best method would be to remove the plasterboards from the most suitable side and pack out the stud using either 10mm timber or even 9.5mm plasterboard. Remember increasing the stud depth could have repercussions elsewhere, such as door casing, pipework to radiators, cables to electrical accessories on that wall, another consideration would be introduction insulation to areas where electrical cable exist, as the cables do have a max current rating and insulating them reduces that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back