adding third light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a two way switch wired as diagram can I add a third switch it is connected to a jb in the loft which i can access but cant easily run new wire to existing switches
583b3159b65f8cbb4236827f2d830bd4

Sponsored Links
Hi I have a two way switch wired as diagram can I add a third switch it is connected to a jb in the loft which i can access but cant easily run new wire to existing switches
You need something called an 'intermediate' switch. However, you can only do it if you have access (e.g. in the JB) to the wires coming from the L1 and L2 terminals of one of the switches.

Kind Regards, John

Yes.

You will need an intermediate switch and to run a 4-core + earth from the rose to the new switch location and two more connectors then -

break into one of the pairs of red and blue which run to either of the present switches.

two-way-plus-inter.bmp

That is the basic diagram. The intermediate switch is placed in the blue and red wires you show going to L1 and L2 in either switch and it basic idea is it swaps the feed to L1 and L2 so would need 4 wires plus earth.

So you can take from either switch or rose.

In real terms if taken from switch what you would really do is replace existing switch with the intermediate and the new switch will be the two way that way only three core and earth required from old switch to new switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replys I have access to all the sitch wires in the junction box so i will have a go at the weekend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back