Adding two spur sockets to Ring Final

I suspect that such is the first inclination of the great majority of us (whether 'doing' or advising), on the basis that it sounds like the 'correct'/'decent' way of doing it - but, as I've also said, I'm not at all sure that it's a view that can really be supported if we actually engage in some ('electrical') thought.

The old reg (and a concept still persisting in the current OSG) that the number of spurs should be limited to the number of sockets/loads "on the ring" seems particularly (electrically) ridiculous, since it is (at least for me) hard to think on an (electrical) justification.
I'm sure that's true, and I doubt restricted to only "amateur electricians", nor probably only in the 50s and 60s. Speaking for myself (as an 'amateur'), I'm sure that some of my earliest efforts at 'extending sockets circuits' (in latter part of 60s, and the 70s) took place with no real understanding of the significance of the differences between spurs and 'the ring' - so if I wanted 'additional socket(s)', I would probably have simply wired it/them from the nearest socket, without any regard to whether it was 'a socket on the ring' or already an unfused spur from the ring....

... and, of course, needless to say, there were never any 'consequences' of that! In fact, in the real world, rather than the world of theory and 'cautiousness', I would imagine that it would be incredibly rare for any serious problems to arise because umpteen sockets had been supplied by a single unfused (2.5mm²) spur from a ring - let's face it, with Method C we're only talking about the difference between 27A and 32A.

Kind Regards, John
Let's face it the only real situation where a domestic 32A socket circuit is likely to be fully loaded is the kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher, tumble drier, kettle etc and the possibility there is for a potential load of 40A or so, which is unlikely to trip a 32A MCB but a 2.5mm² T&E will be overloaded by 50%. Before anyone says it's unlikely, Mrs Sunray will typically put all of those and the toaster or microwave on first thing in the morning. I've measured the kitchen ring peaking >50A in normal useage albeit much of it is wired in 7/0.029" and full ring with no spurs.

Sponsored Links
Let's face it the only real situation where a domestic 32A socket circuit is likely to be fully loaded is the kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher, tumble drier, kettle etc and the possibility there is for a potential load of 40A or so, which is unlikely to trip a 32A MCB but a 2.5mm² T&E will be overloaded by 50%. Before anyone says it's unlikely, Mrs Sunray will typically put all of those and the toaster or microwave on first thing in the morning.
Not impossible, albeit those peak currents would only be likely to flow for pretty short periods of time.

However, what you describe is really 'no big deal'. You may think that "overloaded by 50%" sounds fairly dramatic, but don't forget that any cable (including 2.5mm² T+E) is deemed to be able to tolerate an "overload" of 45% for an hour without any problems (and greater degrees of 'overload' than that for shorter periods) for an hour without any problems.

Kind Regards, John

Not impossible, albeit those peak currents would only be likely to flow for pretty short periods of time.

However, what you describe is really 'no big deal'. You may think that "overloaded by 50%" sounds fairly dramatic, but don't forget that any cable (including 2.5mm² T+E) is deemed to be able to tolerate an "overload" of 45% for an hour without any problems (and greater degrees of 'overload' than that for shorter periods) for an hour without any problems.

Kind Regards, John
All agreed.

All agreed.
Glad you agree. It might interest you to look back to some data I presented in (this thread) , relating to the total demand of my entire installation over a period of about 2.5 years at the time (about 1,350,000 minutes). The most pertinent bits were the table below which shows that, of those ~1,350,000 minutes, there were only 6 minutes (0.0004%) when the total demand in my installation exceeded 40A, and only just over 0.1% of minutes during which the total demand was >30A

upload_2022-5-3_2-40-30.png

upload_2022-5-3_2-42-49.png

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Glad you agree. It might interest you to look back to some data I presented in (this thread) , relating to the total demand of my entire installation over a period of about 2.5 years at the time (about 1,350,000 minutes). The most pertinent bits were the table below which shows that, of those ~1,350,000 minutes, there were only 6 minutes (0.0004%) when the total demand in my installation exceeded 40A, and only just over 0.1% of minutes during which the total demand was >30A

View attachment 268739

View attachment 268740

Kind Regards, John
That's not unexpected in many abodes, I find that Mrs Sunray will habitually run through the sequence of washing machine, tumble drier (to soften previous days wash), dishwasher, toaster or microwave and kettle first thing. This could easily include the use of electric cooker or be at the same time as me using electric shower. I have never checked but I reckon we could easily be approaching our limit (believed to be 60A fuse as looped supply). I am concious of the limit so try to limit peak load by running dishwasher in the evening and time the shower etc.
I've just put the clamp meter on main tail; 0.32A, adding 18W of hall light so I can see meter better; 0.39A

That's not unexpected in many abodes, I find that Mrs Sunray will habitually run through the sequence of washing machine, tumble drier (to soften previous days wash), dishwasher, toaster or microwave and kettle first thing. This could easily include the use of electric cooker or be at the same time as me using electric shower. I have never checked but I reckon we could easily be approaching our limit (believed to be 60A fuse as looped supply). I am concious of the limit so try to limit peak load by running dishwasher in the evening and time the shower etc.
As I've suggested, it's really a question of how long loads are very high- going beyond the CCC of cables or In of OPDs (even the cutout fuse) for relatively short periods is of little consequence.

Toasters, kettles, microwaves and even showers are not usually on for appreciable periods of time. Even washing machines and dishwashers only use 'high power' for pretty short periods, and cookers are usually very much 'up and down' with their thermostatic control. Tumble driers (and, of course, any sort of 'electric heater') are about the only common appliance which draws high current for relatively 'long periods'. As a consequence of all that, very high total loads which persist for appreciable periods (say, more than 15-30 mins) is probably pretty rare in domestic environments.

Kind Regards, John

Worth considering a way to fully isolate the socket in the garden because if ( when ) the socket is damaged or becomes water logged then it will not be possible to reset the protective devices ( MCB and/or RCD ) for the ring until the socket is isolated.

Full isolation being a two pole switch ( Live and Neutral )

Regarding the outdoor spur socket, would a 20A DP switch be adequate for isolating the new spur?

Yes it would for one socket. ( maximum current limited to 13 amps by the fuse in the one plug )

Sorry confused by the mention of one socket. I am planning to put a double socket in the following order:

1) 2.5mm2 cable from original socket to 20A DP Switch
2) 2.5mm2 cable from 20A DP Switch to waterproof outdoor double socket

just bumping this for a quick reply on my last question re: one vs two sockets

Then, strictly speaking, 20A is not enough as you could plug in 26A - although this is extremely unlikely.

Go for 32A or 45A if you want to.

Some people would say that a 20 amp switch would not be suitable for a supply to a double socket which could in theory need 26 amps ( 2 x 13 ) but is practice very unlikely
So yes the 20 amp switch would be OK for a double socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back