Adding two spur sockets to Ring Final

Thanks - I'll go with having an FCU first.
Why? A washing machine is a high load device. The other socket above the worktop may well feed another high load device (kettle, toaster, etc). Total load more than 13 amps. Much better to take two spurs.

Sponsored Links
Why? A washing machine is a high load device. The other socket above the worktop may well feed another high load device (kettle, toaster, etc). Total load more than 13 amps. Much better to take two spurs.

Two spurs from the existing socket?

Two spurs from the existing socket?
That is not technically against the regulations, but (there’s always one) you would be faced with trying to cram 4 conductors in each of the L, N & E terminals.
And the back box will be stuffed.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
You say you can't extend the ring - yet you probably CAN if you run two new cables to the existing socket on the ring.
...and how is that 5mm² of cable (in one place) better than one 4mm²?

At the existing socket on the ring, you should be able to join one old cable and one new cable in connector blocks within the back box and one old cable and one new cable to the socket itself.
So - three additional unnecessary joints.

This way you don't need that pesky FCU.
If only there were another way to remove the need for that pesky FCU.

I think I'm going to stick to your recommendation of having an FCU leading to two separate sockets. It's highly unlikely I'll have high powered appliances plugged in and operating at the same time. The washing machine goes on 3 times a week. At most I'll have a toaster & coffee machine plugged in above the counter.

I think I'm going to stick to your recommendation of having an FCU leading to two separate sockets. It's highly unlikely I'll have high powered appliances plugged in and operating at the same time. The washing machine goes on 3 times a week. At most I'll have a toaster & coffee machine plugged in above the counter.
Im sure he was advising NOT to have an FCU

1) Who was talking about 4mm2 cable? I wasn't.
You mean, spur from the socket to multiple new sockets in 4mm2?
Yes, I'm reasonably happy with that.
Don't know what the next man doing the testing will think - but electrically I'm very happy with that.

The reason I mention EXTENDING the ring (in 2.5mm2) is because the op stated in his very first post that he couldn't EXTEND the RING - but I think he can.

2) Three unnecessary joints - where?
You must mean the three connectors in the back of the existing socket.
So what?

Again, this was mentioned because the op thought it wasn't possible to EXTEND the RING. To extend the ring, you would need this joint (without causing disruption to other parts of the house/installation).

Last edited:
1) Who was talking about 4mm2 cable?
I was. Post #5

You mean, spur from the socket to multiple new sockets in 4mm2?
Yes. By far the simplest option.

Yes, I'm reasonably happy with that.
Good. No reason not to be.

Don't know what the next man doing the testing will think
If the next man doesn't know what to think then sack him.

The reason I mention EXTENDING the ring (in 2.5mm2) is because the op stated in his very first post that he couldn't EXTEND the RING - but I think he can.
Fair enough.

2) Three unnecessary joints - where?
The connections in the backbox necessary when extending the ring.

You must mean the three connectors in the back of the existing socket.
So what?
Yes. It is pointless extending the ring so they are an unnecessary addition.

Again, this was mentioned because the op thought it wasn't possible to EXTEND the RING. To extend the ring, you would need this joint (without causing disruption to other parts of the house/installation).
Yes, I know you would but there is no point extending the ring.

I wouldn't say it was 'pointless' to an extend the ring/any ring.

I think extending the ring is perfectly logical and in keeping with the original installation.

As much as I agree with you about the advantages of spurring in 4mm2, the whole point of my post was in response to the matter of the op claiming it wasn't possible to extend the ring.

Extending the ring seems a very normal method to add two or more sockets to me, and ideal if, for example, the op already has some 2.5mm2 cable.

I wouldn't say it was 'pointless' to an extend the ring/any ring. ... I think extending the ring is perfectly logical and in keeping with the original installation.
'Pointless' is probably not quite the right word, but I think a lot of people do it, and advocate it, simply because it 'sounds more decent/neat', without it really offering any significant electrical advantage.

It seems increasing common for new-build solid-floored bungalows to have no sockets 'on the ring' but rather, to have a 'ring' of JBs in the roof space, with all sockets as 'spurs' on drops from that ring.

Kind Regards, John

And not just bungalows. When I moved in to my house (built about mid 70s) there was only one ring final for sockets.

The ring served the kitchen and upstairs rooms. Sockets in other downstairs rooms were single spurs from the upstairs sockets. Which made adding further sockets to downstairs rooms a bit of a challenge.

It’s not like that now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back