Additional ceiling rose wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to add an additional light in my garage to the existing one. I have brought a new ceiling rose and some cable and wired it up accordingly. earth to earth, neutral to neutral and the live to the loop in connection, which I thought was right, but maybe not so as the new light does not work?

I want to run both off the same original switch.

Basically what have or haven't I done? I didn't think I needed to run a separate cable from the switch to run the second rose, or do I? Or have i wired up the second rose in correctly?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I suspect that you haven't connected into the first rose correctly. Are there two sets of black wires? If so, one is neutral (which you need to connect to the black [or blue if using harmonized cable]) of your new cable feeding the new light, and the other is actually a switched LIVE.

I suspect that you have connected accros live and switch live, rather than switch live and neutral.

There are 2 black wires on the origional cable, one to neutral and other to live (from switch). On my new cable, I have a blue to the neutral and a brown (live) to the middle loop connection. i have no wires from the new cable to the live connection block.
So do I need to wire the new brown live to the switch live?

On your new cable brown needs to go to switched live, and blue needs to go to neutral, and earth to earth. If this is like this already, check you have 230v on blue and brown at the new light fitting (when it's switched on) to check it's not the new fittings that's at fault, and in fact you haven't done anything wrong!

Sponsored Links
Thanks ever so much. Ive wired the brown (live) into the correct terminals now on both origional and new rose, in the switch live and works fine.

Cheers once again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back