additional cold water tank needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all

I installed a new (2nd) shower and installed a bigger pump to drive both.
Have two 25gal CWtanks linked as storage in small loft above the bathroom. This has turned out to be too small (as expected). The problem is the loft will not hold more. I do have more loft space above the room next door that will fit 70gal tank , BUT this is at a higher level (about 3ft)

I see three options

1) new tank in other loft is use to supply cold to pump (leave HW cylinder and taps from existing CW tank).

2) new tank supplies HW cylinder (leave cold to pump and taps from existing tank)

3) plumb new tank outlet into existing tank outlet pipe, but with double check valve to stop higher tank filling lower tank.!?

Does HW or CW usually need larger storage (HW stored at 60).
Option 3 would supply as demanded, but not sure if it is allowed or would work well.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the mass of responses. :p not sure if the question was too obvious or too scary for people to reply. :confused:

I've been in contact with salamander and the pump(ESP100 CPV) has a bypass pipe so pressure differential would cause problems if either side was fed from different tanks.

Remeasured and the height difference is only about 6inches, so could install new tank(s) in series and only part fill (after finding common level)

But might have to bite the bullet and strengthening a boarded area in the pitched roof of a bedroom (only suitable for light storage at the moment).
Then install tanks there and completely replumb.

Are there problems with having the CWS in a warm roof area.

Anyone?

Your original post contained too many errors of thinking, so was probably just ignored!

With a new 70gal tank simply in most cases the solution would be to just re-plumb to that and get rid of the smaller tanks. It is no problem in a warm roof.

What size hot water cylinder you are feeding and what other cold supplies other than the two showers you are connecting to the tank. Knowing how many bathrooms you have will also help.

Thanks for the response.

5 people in house 2 bathrooms (each with a shower and bath). Toilets and most of the taps are plumbed to the mains. One shower has big head and body jets.

pump salamander ESP100CPV (they recommend 50gal /shower)

3 stories, so not best pressure at CWS fill.

The current CWS looks like to was plumbed and then boarded in, so access to one outlet (to HW cyclinder), overflow and inlet is near impossible without bringing the ceiling down.

There are two standard (144L) HW cyclinders plumbed together ?! (odd but is seems to work)

Its a C1900 house so you can imagine the hornets nest that can be unleashed each time you change something. (went to change an ensuite sink and ended up lifting three floors to remove the lead pipe!)

I might get away with just the a new 70 gal tank, but that only 20 Gal more than there already is.

Thanks for any opinions

Sponsored Links
just not enough room in existing spaces for that one.

would require replumbing to, and strengthening another ceiling space.
So yes it might come to that.

Things are never straight forward. :confused:

Try a 3/4 inch float valve - high pressure - that`ll let more water in to your existing tanks :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back